$200 Hydraulic Disc Brake Groupset from China

Doesn’t seem bad at all. Wouldn’t cost CT too much budget to buy one and put it through the paces. :money_mouth_face:

5 Likes

I’ve just been watching this, not a fan of the commenter but I’d love to see a non biased review from a trusted source.

3 Likes

Yes, a trusted review by CT of smoething like this would be great!

It was good to see some of the cheaper options come out of the recent gravel bike test with positive scores

3 Likes

Looks pretty good, would order this to put on a Colnago for lulz.

5 Likes

Not specific to this group, but anyone still wondering why Shimano dropped mech 105 need look no further. The Sensah, Microshift and L2 stuff is going to make the low end of the price spectrum.

5 Likes

Hopefully we’ll see long-term reviews before too long. I really do wonder if Shimano and Sram went electronic-only because they couldn’t make a reliable 12-speed mechanical groupset. From what I understand, Campy’s 12-speed mechanical is a bit “moody”. Even if this groupset shifts/brakes OK when new, I’m not very confident that it will be that way for very long.

3 Likes

My 12 speed mechanical Shimano SLX group mixed with 11 speed chainrings and a no name 12 speed Chinese cassette would like a word.

3 Likes

From what I understand, my Chorus 12-speed mech group has been anything but moody. It just keeps performing just right and has been for 2 years.

4 Likes

Video feels too much like an infomercial to me.

The major drawback of all these Chinese groupsets is the lack of European distribution and overall support. There’s all kinds of online information from Shimano for example to assist you.

Still, I would be fascinated for the Tech Nerd guys to get hold of one of these groupsets and to do a deep dive into it.

2 Likes

He used to be a completely independent bike geek but he’s ended up getting a job with Winspace (and good for him), not sure if he’s got any connection with LTwoo but doing a test ride in their branded kit doesn’t scream objective.

I was more put off by his lame laddish innuendos which is a new affectation (which seemed to start when he did a vid with Hambini and Peak Torque - they all brought the infantile worst out of each other).

Trace Velo is a one man band YTer who’s been buying AliExpress stuff for years with his own money and testing it, often to failure, which is a niche bigger channels are now invading.

12 Likes

Trace Velo is brilliant.

He’s got a very British sense of humour and tbh with Hambini I just can’t watch without cringing. I’m sure his engineering is brilliant and I do like learning his problem solving but he’s just like a 14 year school boy from the 90s being edgy. I’d love a good engineering breakdown with a vaguely inoffensive presenter.

I’d really be interested in this if I was building a new bike if there was a better method of purchasing it, even if it was just a point of contact for Europe. I just can’t trust Ali Express, I’m sure it’s fine but I guess I’d just worry if there were problems.

6 Likes

I noticed that as well. He sounded so uncomfortable when coming out with that crap but kept doing it. Does primary school level humour really lead to more views?

2 Likes

Just wondering what kind of frame it’s on? Is it fully external cable routing? A bit off-topic, but quite curious.

1 Like

It wouldn’t cost you too much to buy it for yourself and report back.
Why expect someone else to do it?

1 Like

Hambini is a misogynistic POS….so that tracks.

The guy is a shameless self-promoter who only exists because he tears other people’s work down…often (usually?) highlighting “issues” that are immaterial IRL.

9 Likes

Good point! I wonder whose opinion would be valued more by the community, me or Ronan/James/Dave doing an indepth review?

7 Likes

My experience buying chinese is most of the manufacturers have official stores on aliexpress which is a lot more trustworthy than buying from a 3rd party reseller on Aliexpress. Buying a Sensah groupset from Sensah rather than a random reseller will be the way to go even if its $10 more.

4 Likes

As long as it is more reliable than shitty shimano stuff I am in.

I have a 12s Ltwoo transmission on my fat bike. Finition is shimano tourney like but it works well, better than it should have been allowed at the price I paid. Somehow I still chose a reputable brand for the brakes (Magura) as I didn’t want to be the guinea pig that lose all braking in thr middle of a downhill.

2 Likes

Look 595. FD and RD cables run through the downtube via liners that come with the frame. I don’t see how cable routing would cause RD or FD to come out of adjustment. After all, once the housings have become fully seated, the cable is fixed in tension. I suspect that people having issues with Campy 12-speed mech being finicky are having those issues because either the setup wasn’t right or because of something like the RD getting bumped. Any 12-speed system will be more sensitive to proper RD and hanger alignment than 11, 10, etc. speed systems.

2 Likes

If you are asking the question, why would that matter to you?
Isn’t whatever you find out just as worthwhile as anything they could say?
BTW, you do realize that any publication will do favorable reviews so they are not blackballed?