A special send off from the VeloClub crew

Regardless of whether you made the decision to cancel or not during the week we wanted to include you in this special send off from the VeloClub crew to Caley, Dave, and Matt as part of our weekly VeloClub newsletter. In addition to sharing a few of our favourite pieces from each writer (it was difficult to choose!), we’ve also included links to their social profiles, and our member’s thoughts about why they made CT such an incredible place.

Please enjoy.

You can view the newsletter here.

23 Likes

Being flippant but the UCI must be shitting themselves. If Iain is the last person standing then “Lane” must go to the Tour, 3 person rule.
(Maybe we can find him some journalistic credibility).

So I am the leach that Wade wanted to encourage to contribute money enabling the crew to keep on publishing content.

I was the leach that kept on listening to the podcasts, using the free information provided on the website all the while the printed media that I used to buy wilted and died.

Maybe 18 months ago I realised that I needed to change my attitude. There are a bunch of good people producing INTEGRITY amongst a sea of sameness. There are so many sites I don’t go to because they aren’t ruled by integrity.

I am the old guy. My No 1 bike was 10 years old. I just kept replacing bits. It’s still a great bike but 28mm tyres jam in the brakes if I pick up road debris, let alone off road gravel.

If you listen to enough podcasts then the speakers start to become your friends.
Caley, Ronan, James, Dave, Rupert, Abby, Dane are my podcast friends, plus having met Matt and Andy I can’t give up on what they have done for cycling. Oh, Lane and Shoddy, you too obviously And then there is Jose.
The first time I heard Jose was as a television commentator and I was perplexed as I didn’t realize Jose could be a woman’s name but at the same time thought this is the most informed commentator Ive ever heard.

Don’t forget what Caley did for freewheeling. There hasn’t been too much comment about the women’s side of riding but you can go back and hear what Caley was doing for the freewheeling podcast.
Finally Abby understood that you don’t have to keep apologising for opinions, for making a simple mistake or just for being there.

This year’s TDF Avec Z showed that cyclingtips was right. Look at next year’s TDF FAZ route and argue against this.
Let’s hope none of the freewheeling crew get touched.

So after 8 years of procrastination I bought a new bike . I couldn’t make up my mind. So I went back to Dave and James’s comments. It took a while, but because I like my bikes to last, it had to have no proprietary parts and fit wide tyres, not be slow on the road and not weigh a tonne.

I put a line through sooo many bikes and ended up with a brand that I didn’t really like the feel of, spent way more money that I felt comfortable about, but in the end I’m pretty impressed by the bike they recommended.

Since then I spent more money on tyres Iain recommended, set up the tyres as per Dave’s tech Tuesday’s.

No chance I’d have done this without cyclingtips.

One cyclist probably doesn’t matter too much in the grand scheme, but amongst the wide crew I ride with from time to time, or the newbies who ask questions of me, occasionally they ask questions of someone who has been riding for decades. So who do I recommend?

I didn’t cancel my subscription because it’s pointless, they already have my money. Plus there are still so many good people still working there that have families to feed.

Wade, you cherry picked a brilliant crew who became a family and I will follow.

39 Likes

What a thoughtful and wonderful comment. Thank you so much @peteonbike

6 Likes

Thank you for the acknowledgement Wade.
From all the comments I’ve read in the past week I don’t think I’m alone in how I feel about what you built.
I hope everybody from cyclingtips finds employment quickly and has the opportunity to work in a similarly great team.

Pete

5 Likes

Have to ask: what bike did you end up with?

And in all seriousness, hearing from just a single person that we somehow made their riding experience even a little bit better is all the satisfaction I ever need. I hope we didn’t steer you wrong.

12 Likes

Thank you, Wade, for kick-starting and then nurturing CT into what it was, pre-Outside Interactive.

Sadly, the current incarnation of CT is not what I subscribed to.

I’m looking forward to reading about what is coming next for you.

The next time you are in touch with Caley, Dave and Matt, thank them for bringing inspiration, know-how and joy to cyclists. And wish them continued success where ever they land.

3 Likes

I’m going to miss listening to you on the CT podcasts, James. And reading your engaging snark :laughing: I’ll be looking for you elsewhere.

And speaking of bikes, you mentioned a purple steel Alchemy in one of your reports from the 2010 NAHBS. I got a kick out of the fact that you noticed the clear silicone bumpers I used to prevent cable rub on the head tube.

I still ride that bike.

Crux, with a 1 by apex groupset. Coming from 25 years of campag I’m still coming to terms with the shifting, not to mention being a bit underwhelmed by the braking… the lever reach and feel is taking some getting used to.
The bike itself is great. I had been underbiking off road and plenty of hike a biking, but the Crux now feels like cheating.

1 Like

are you talking about not being able to fully tune lever throws/engagement points like you can with good 'ol rim brakes? it’s quite the bummer because I always prioritized doing just that on endless rim bikes I’ve had and suddenly with my first disc bike, it ain’t readily there to tweak. or am I missing something?

Yes, I have found exactly the same thing. I have been playing around with adjustments, freeing the pistons, trying resets but I can’t set it up exactly how I like it.

After rereading my first post now, it doesn’t really flow as well as when I wrote it. I guess I shouldn’t have posted after a bottle of wine. At least it captures the sentiment.

1 Like

How do you want it set up?

Hi @Andy_van_Bergen

Thanks for sharing this. I’ve stopped my auto-renew, and will decide closer to July 2023 if I’ll continue.

Not sure why, but this newsletter didn’t make it into my inbox. So, yes, glad you shared here.

1 Like

Great to hear you were able to read it above. I felt that given a lot of the feedback was from members who subsequently unsubscribed I wanted to ensure they got to read their farewell messages.

1 Like

I had fat hands with short fingers. I like having the lever reach pulled in a bit to the bars. On the older 10 speed campag levers I actually packed the brake release pins to bring the reach in a bit . From there I don’t want to be able to pull the levers back to the bar. For me the levers should feel firm around half way to the bars.
When I adjusted the lever reach to where I was happy the stroke was such that the lever could touch the bars with a bit of pressure.
I tried a mates brakes and they were the same. (Apex) as well.
I have tried advancing and freeing the pads but still I couldn’t get it where I like.
I intend to have a proper play around this weekend.

it actually does.

James when I was searching for my next best road bike, your review of the BMC Roadmachine helped me make up my mind and go with buying one. I love that bike. Always enjoyed your input even if you don’t like intergrated stem/handlebars! LOL.

1 Like

I recently picked up a Canyon Roadlite as a commuter after you all touted entry level aluminum frame bikes on Nerd Alert in the last year. I love it: great to ride, I don’t worry about it getting stolen or dinged, and it was the only way I could get away with another n+1 at the moment. I probably wouldn’t have done it without those podcasts and I’d be missing out.

2 Likes

You can… just on the free-throw of the R8000 Ultegra groupset Free stroke adjustment Ultegra

Other group sets can be found there and DI2 has a devoted 3rd party site called BetterShifting BetterShifting.

Good luck :crossed_fingers:

yeah, there’s lever free stroke ‘adjustment’ on these systems, but the extent of the adjustability is basically pathetic. the best thing you can do here is make sure the bleeds are good and then just ride it and adapt.
there’s nothing like the huge amount of lever feel tweaking that cable operated rim brakes offer.