Adjust setback

It’s that time of the year: setback has to be adjusted. Saddle needs to move more forward.
There are 2 options:

1. Buy new seatpost (Profile fast forward/redshift dual position)
  2. Turn curreny seatpost around

On option 2: I have a Canyon S25 seatpost which seems a bit directional. The leaf spring construction can move backward. If the saddle angle could be adjusted properly, would you turn it around?

I wouldn’t…you’ll likely find that it doesn’t work very well in the orientation. Now, if you aren’t worried about the performance of the seatpost as designed, it may work.

My bigger question is what is prompting such a large change in saddle position?

1 Like

The canyon S25 can be adjusted from 10mm setback to -2mm setback. According to Canyon itself.

This - and if the answer is “it’s for a once a year triathlon with aerobars” then the correct answer is 1, with a different (tri) saddle already installed on it.

2 Likes

A Specialized round seatpost with a side clamp works pretty well in this regard. I think they used to come on some of the Tarmac SL6 models that didn’t have the D-shaped post. I use one flipped 180deg to get a 20mm forward offset for the occasional TT. As mrmatthew mentioned, a TT specific saddle could get your pelvis further forwards too, and reduce discomfort.

I don’t get “that time of year”–please explain! For me, if it fits right it’s good for all conditions, all seasons, all styles of riding.

1 Like

Exactly unless the setup is totally different, i.e. time trial handlebars, I don’t see why setback would vary depending on the seasons.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m not gonna do anything against the “manual” of the canyon seatpost. Loadcase on the seatpost is around 80kg. I have the redshift installed but was looking for other options.

Context: This if for commuting where, in my opinion, less resistance matters. Starting easy with the road bike, the weather is nice. Eventually another bike will be involved. Weather sort of matters, but it was mostly for the joy of writing.

On colder days getting enough food in during the day was a learning point.

So you’re looking to dramatically reduce setback for commuting, or am I confusing this?

Adam Hansen has clearly solved this very problem, however :slight_smile:

Yes. There are aerobars on the bike as well.

Still looking for a decent place to have the laptop instead of the backpack.

Sadly in term of vibrations and laptop reliability there is no better place.

A few months ago before settling for a full remote job I bought a pocket laptop from GPD that could fit in a framebag. Obviously screen being roughly the size of an ipad mini you definitely want to use it on external display 95% of the time and only use it as a laptop occasionnally.

Laptop adjustability not big, company provided.

Thinking about using a contraption like this.
Or better up front with this bracket on the headtube and modified tubing to accomodate an Ortlieb bag.

Now that you mention a rear rack, you make me remember I have used that convertible backpack from decathlon for a while and it was great:

I kept it mounted on the rack on the road and I was moving it on my back whenever I wanted to ride on gravel to get better handling of the bike and limit vibrations.

2 Likes

Have you considered changing the length of your stem or the reach of your bars instead? In my experience, hips, knees and ankles are usually happy when they have found a pain free position.

Maybe I’ll try this in the future. I tried this first as I had the feeling I wanted to be more above the pedals. I noticed an unconscious sliding forward on my saddle.
Underbody is happy with the positive (logic tells me it should be negative) setback.

I went with option (1) and got a ffwd post on ebay. Decided I liked it, so then went with option (3) and had a frame made with a steeper seat tube angle so I could run a normal post that isn’t f- ugly.