Best all round, affordable tubular?

For those of you still using tubs, as the title asks, what do you recommend that isn’t horrendously expensive, that will last a few thousand kilometers and isn’t a biatch to mount–a good, reliable all-rounder. What I’m using at the moment doesn’t matter–don’t want to direct traffic before it even begins–tell me and the rest of us here what YOU think would be the best all round affordable tubular (not looking to win any races)

Continental Sprinter.

3 Likes

+1 for the Conti Sprinter.

1 Like

IMO Continental tubulars feel awful, they are all fitted with butyl tubes and after running a pair of Attack/Force tubulars I wouldn’t have another set. Felt like riding solid rubber until you dropped the pressure so much it felt like riding through treacle.

I have used Vittoria Corsa’s, Veloflex Record Carbon and Dugast Strada cotton. All of these are very similar but the Dugast were my favourites. Used to get a single summer out of the rear and two summers out of a front so about 2,000km front/4,000km rear.

Your other option is to pick up pro team surplus tyres (where I got my Veloflex’s from). There are brand new prototype 28mm FMBs for sale at €60 at the moment which is a €15 premium over a Continental sprinter. At that price difference the FMBs would be my first choice. If you wanted to go brand new Dugast are €70 and you can specify the width (22, 23, 24, 25 or 27) and the sidewall colour.

2 Likes

This is the problem with “affordable” being such a vague characteristic :slight_smile:

I like my Vittoria Corsas better than the Conti Sprinters because they feel better - but where I buy them they are € 53 vs. € 37 for the Sprinter.

The Sprinter was easier to mount as well, because the sidewall is sturdier and you are less likely to pull the tub into an irregular shape - don’t mean to say that is the tires fault, it is certainly a question of mounting technique. Had to do it twice with the Corsa to get it right using the same bad technique as with the Conti.

I also don’t know if a punctured tub with a Latex tube inside could be fixed with sealant for a wobbly ride home, because I would expect a Latex tube to fail by ripping all the way open compared to Butyl (any opinions here?), so your roadside repair options may be different.

2 Likes

Local pricing is for sure going affect your choice as is what you are prepared to sacrifice in ride characteristics.

To be honest I haven’t punctured in about 7 years on tubs but I always carry a small pouch of effetto caffelatex (which is recommended by Dugast), a can of Vittoria Pitstop and if all else failed a Tufo track tubular as a last resort. The Tufo folded down to almost the same size as a butyl innertube and went in my saddlebag with the sealant, the can was in my back pocket with my pump.

1 Like

While of course “affordable” is going to mean different things to different people, I purposely left this open ended since prices too vary from place to place and country to country, so, the field was left open and unrestricted–lots of good replies so far–I use Conti Sprints in this category, but am happy to see some interesting alternatives–thanks all!!

1 Like

Latex seems to be really hard to puncture, same experience here. I carry a can of Joe’s no flats sealant when I’m out on either type of tubs - but I’m still waiting for a POC moment.

When riding on tubs in the last century I used to carry a spare - but I also used tape to attach the tubs then (until I rolled a tire at the end of a steep descent and decided it was time for clinchers).

I would feel better with a spare in my pocket, but I’m not keen on going back to tape or even mixing tape and glue. How do you manage with your Tufo?

1 Like

I pre glued the tufo, folded it base tape to base tape then wrapped it in cling film. Seems to still be tacky. If it drys out I will give it another light smear of mastik

On the rims I used to use Vittoria Mastik, then went to Effetto tape but have gone back to Mastik. The Effetto tape was (is) so strong that I wasn’t confident I would be able to get the tyre off at the side of the road if I needed to and the potential for peeling off layers of carbon with the tyre!

I got the idea for the spare tubular from here;
Triathlon Tips: Best Spare Tubular Tire For Ironman Triathlon and Half-Ironman Races - Tufo Elite Tire (thomasgerlach.com)

To confirm I use a Tufo Elite < 135gm

3 Likes

Apparently latex tubes work best with sealant over butyl, it’s just the valve that gets gummed up.

Are you sure? I was getting the exact opposite impression from Vittoria and have just found this one here: Should you put tubeless sealant inside tubular tyres? Pro teams think so - CyclingTips

Granted: If pro teams are putting sealant into their tubulars, I should think that these are unlike to have butyl tubes (or even be Tufos) - so the CT article does raise questions (eyebrows) in this regard.

I wouldn’t install sealant inside a tubular pre puncture due to risk of the latex leaking air, the sealant sticking inside and then ripping the tube when re inflated. If I were riding on a pro team I would imagine that the likelihood of tyres being sat idle long enough for that to be a problem would be unlikely. YMMV :man_shrugging:t2:

Vittoria Rubino Pro G2.0 work for me. They have a butyl inner tube but have a 290TPI casing; they ride really well, are very durable and not a PITA to get on (unlike Contis). Or if you want really affordable Vittoria Rallys are a decent tyre.

1 Like

I ran TUFO sealant in all my tubulars for years…never had a flat on the road when I was doing that, although I did find a flat tire the next day a couple of times. Would just drop in some more sealant and it that would resolve the issue.

One more vote for Conti Sprinters. They are nothing like supple high-end handmade tubulars with latex tubes for sure, but the confort is decent, the grip is very good, and they are strong.

Vittoria Rallies OTOH ride like a garden hose. They are just good enough as a spare tubular (but they are so rigid that they are a PITA to fold small enough to hide under your saddle) …

2 Likes