Bicycle Songs

Last night, I went down a musical rabbithole & noticed a band I quite enjoy*, Les Thugs, had a song called “Biking.”

The lyrics are pretty unitelligible but upon reading discovered the song was definitely written by a cyclist.

Being in rabbithole mode, I started thinking of other songs specifically about cycling & decided to make a playlist.

So far I have:
Biking – Les Thugs
Riding Bikes – Shellac
Bicycle Race – Queen
Bike – Pink Floyd
Black Mags – The Cool Kids

I made the playlist public & collaborative & would love others to add tracks.

*I mostly listen to one of their albums but decided to branch out & now wish I had earlier!

Tour de France - Kraftwerk
On A Bicycle Built For Two - Nat King Cole
The Pushbike Song - The Mixtures

1 Like

Velodrome - Chemical Brothers

1 Like

Beastie Boys - Professor Booty
Pete Shelley - Give it to me (Used for years by UK Channel 4 as their TDF theme)
The Astana team rap
Common - Resurrection 95

2 Likes

I never had a clue until now that the theme tune of cycling in the 90s was written by the same man who wrote “Ever fallen in love with someone you shouldn’t have fallen in love with,” which would actually have been an appropriate theme tune for cycling in the early 00’s.

1 Like

Biking is Better - Wintergatan
Bike Thief - Freezepop

Schlammbein:
Dunkel Kalt und Hart
Penis of Steel
Mann ohne Gang

ymmv on the last three, sexism.

1 Like

I love Kraftwerk. I can’t believe I forgot that one!

Thanks to the movie Breaking Away, I always associate Mendelssohn’s Italian Symphony with cycling: breaking away highway scene on Vimeo

2 Likes

Style Council, My Ever Changing Moods, for the video if nothing else.

2 Likes

Slackstring - She’s on a Mission
Flobots - Handlebars
Sia - Riding on my Bike
The Bennies - My Bike

Suede - To The Birds

A bicycle is central to the song, though it’s not really about bicycles.

1 Like

Luka Bloom did a couple of songs about his love for riding - The Acoustic Motorbike and The Ride

2 Likes

This Charming Man opens with “punctured bicycle, on a hillside desolate.” It’s the realest “about cycling” song ever.

2 Likes

Jarvis Cocker accepts your challenge.
(Pulp - I Spy)
“The crowd gasp at Cocker’s masterful control of the bicycle,
skillfully avoiding the dog turd outside the corner shop.”

2 Likes

Didn’t Fleetwood Mac have a song called ‘The Chain’? No idea if it’s bike related however

The Vaccines ‘Blow it Up’ is either about bikes or ballistics

And this one’s for Abby: isn’t Taylor Swift’s ‘Shake it off’ about her trying to make it to the finish line solo one day and she had to shake the bunch off her wheel?

1 Like

I funnily always associate “Shake it Off” with cycling! Years ago one of my then teammates posted a video of a couple of us riding during a team camp set to that song & now I’ll forever have the link in my head.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I’ll get them added asap (although the playlist is collaborative if you’re inclined to do so yourself). I’m enjoying these tenuous suggestions, especially “The Chain.” :laughing:

1 Like

Queen - Bycicle race

1 Like

Well if you’re up for tenuous suggestions you’d better wack All My Happiness Is Gone by Purple Mountains on the list. Only one bike reference but it’s a killer:

It’s not the purple hills
It’s not the silver lakes
It’s not the snowcloud shadowed interstates
It’s not the icy bike chain rain of Portland, Oregon

It somehow makes me nostalgic for a place I’ve never been.

1 Like

On a Bicycle Built for Joy from the Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid soundtrack, absent from Spotify

1 Like

Finally, a topic that got me to post in the forum :grinning:. Here’s a few ‘bicycling’ songs from my somewhat eclectic library:

Cracker - I Ride My Bike
Deerhoof - Midnight Bicycle Mystery
JoDee Purkeypile - She Can Ride a Bike
Nora Jane Struthers & The Party Line - Bike Ride
Terry Ohms - My Bike is Fast
Valentin Noiret - My White Bicycle

1 Like