Campagnolo 12 speed chain quick link?

I’m just about to receive my new 12 speed Record group set and have realised that Campy don’t do a quick link on their chains. I’ve been waxing my chains for a few years now and was hoping to continue doing so with the new set up, but that means being able to remove the chain.

I’ve seen a video of someone using a SRAM Eagle 12 speed quick link and was wondering if anyone here has any experience of running your Campy groupset like this, or is it better to stick with Campy’s pin and peen method?

use a 12 speed KMC Missing Link, dependable and can be reused twice.

2 Likes

SRAM Eagle power link. There’s endless threads claiming you’ll destroy your drivetrain and void your warranty on the various Campy sites using any quick link ( Redirecting... ) and there’s a good explanation of the pros and cons here ( Chain quick links: A guide to easy connection - CyclingTips ) and here ( https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Master-Link-FAQ-Guide.pdf ) but, basically, SRAM Eagle - the 12 speed MTB ones, not the flat top road ones- are the closest fit. I’ve used them just fine for waxing, replacing after 3 uses, with no noticeable noise or wear. I do find Campy a little more susceptible than Shimano to having the 12 and 11 getting plugged up with wax and making the last shift into 11 a little sluggish. I’ve stopped breaking in a new chain in those cogs and scrape the cogs with a toothpick now and then and the problem has stopped.

2 Likes

As MGBeatrice highlights above - The official Campagnolo advice is that using a quick link - any quick link - will negate the warranty on not only the chain but all parts of the transmission train, so I’d think carefully before you take this option.

For info, my business, Velotech Cycling Ltd, has oversight of warranty and technical education services to Campagnolo SRL in the UK - so this is “from the horse’s mouth” information, not supposition or urban myth …

In the very unlikely event that you have to make a functional or materials / workmanship claim on any part of the transmission, Campagnolo reserve the right to request the chain returned, as well as the part directly concerned.

Joining the chain with a quick link from new will remove the link that carries the serial code for that chain and in that instance, we won’t be able to honour the warranty.

Use of a joining link elsewhere in the chain is likewise contrary to the warranty provision. In the case of any failed chain, or where components have failed and we consider the chain might be a contributory factor, we are usually obliged to return the chain to the factory.

It’s one of the very few matters in which the Service Centres have no freedom of action under the rules.

Of course, it’s completely up to you, if you choose to take that risk.

2 Likes

^This. I use Eagle power links on my 12sp Record (as I wax my chains) and they work well.

But Shimano 12sp chains also work just fine on 12sp Campag, and have their own dedicated quick links.

1 Like

I use the SRAM Eagle link on both of my bikes but the bike I set up the chain drops at the front chainrings but the one the shop set up for me doesn’t?

I never knew about the Shimano chain being compatible, that is interesting. Thanks!

2 Likes

Campag say it’s not. But I have an XT chain on my 12sp Chorus setup and it’s spot on.

3 Likes

The reverse also seems to be the case: I put a Rotor (Shimano compatible) cassette on a Chorus 2 x 12 equipped gravel bike and it seems fine.

YBN reusable quick links work fine. They can be re-used half-a-dozen times

They’re not. Under load the front shift doesn’t work as fast or as well under high torque values. Take a look at the scoring on the back of your big chainring and you will see why. The ramping doesn’t carry the chain up to the lift pins correctly. The problem them, is this can over-strain the cage of the FD with repeated under-stress shifts.

Some customers who never load their shift system that way don’t see problem but a good many do. We have systems using third party chains returned quite frequently where the correct fitting of a Campagnolo chain by the customer’s own admission, improves the shifting.

Two bikes in the workshop yesterday with issues - one with what looked like old-skool “chain suck” - it wasn’t, it was caused by the slightly wider and differently-shaped links of the 3rd party chain fouling the back of the big chainring, one with a laggy shift to the 11 sprocket from the 12 under load - the only change made was to fit the new chain, limit screws and cable tension untouched, and shifting improved. Chain wear on the 3rd party chain was checked, in case that was a factor - 0.25mm roller to roller elongation measured away from nominal, so well within “normal” wear limits.

Just because a chain is nominally within the width doesn’t necessarily mean that all the other features of the chain are ideal. Some SRAM chains, for instance, use a physically different roller size …

2 Likes

I use the sram 12 speed links which work fine. I use 5 waxed chains before I change the link.

When I first installed Record 12 I used campy peened pin and NFS lube on chains and ended up wearing out on cog on my cassette in less than a year. In my opinion the advantages of waxing for chain and cassette wear far outweigh any advantage of the campy peened pin. However, I would be happier if campy would sell 12 speed links.

1 Like

Thank you Graeme for that wonderful explanation. I think I’ll defo stick with the Campy chains, but probably go with the SRAM quick link.

I’ve used SRAM Eagle quick links and am now using YBN quick links. They both work just fine with no ill effects seen in performance or in drive train wear. You just have to be sure that you close the quick links correctly and that don’t use the quick links beyond their useful life. I change quick links either when I change chains or when the quick link starts to lose that “click” when the quick link is closed.

This has been discussed a time or two on the Nerd Alert podcast. Adam Kerin has a quick link FAQ on his ZeroFrictionCycling website: https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Master-Link-FAQ-Guide.pdf

1 Like

Interesting. I was doing 30/30s yesterday as a tune up for the CX season and the front shifting was fine. I’d even say shifting from the small to big under load was better than Di2, which doesn’t like doing that under high torque and low cadence (indeed, it occasionally just refuses). I guess the smooth FD is a sign I need to work on my power to load the system a bit more! :slight_smile:

I hope what follows is taken in the spirit it’s intended…

I’ve always liked and used Campag (for a whole host of reasons that aren’t really relevant here) but let’s be honest, it can make your life a bit harder. And bluntly, the insistence that only proprietary stuff works, and anything else inevitably causes issues, is another instance of a minor barrier to entry into the Campag world and (more importantly), just doesn’t chime with real-world use.

To be clear, I totally get that Campag won’t endorse 3rd party stuff, and I totally get your own position as a Campag rep, but I and countless others have been using (mainly) quick links or (sometimes) other chains on Campag gruppos for a long time without chain suck, poor shifting, or general problems/plagues of locusts/death.

The left-field alternative, of course, would be for the boys in Vicenza actually to make a proper 12sp quick link. They can do it for Ekar, after all. We’ll then buy them (and give you our money, rather than SRAM :rofl:) and everyone’s happy, no?

8 Likes

I’d gladly ante up for an official Campy 12-speed quick link, even at a premium price. The quick links are working on Ekar, so Campy has to know that such links would work just as well on 12 speed.

5 Likes

Yes, why they haven’t done it for their 12spd chains seems ridiculous.

2 Likes

Same here, I use sram eagle on chorus but am similarly baffled why they have one for ekar and not for 12s road.

4 Likes

The Wippermann Connex links were the best for Campagnolo 11 speed. They have a 12 speed chain now but I haven’t seen the links sold separately.*

I’m sure Graeme would officially disagree. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I used Wipperman for years on 10spd and would have gone the same with 12spd but there was nothing available.

1 Like