Cassette storage ideas

Does anybody have a good way to store cassettes? I have a number of different sizes and makes, and I am looking for a clever way to store them. I’m tired of zip tying them and tossing them in a ziplock bag.
Thanks,
Brian

Wow, so this is actually a thing…

I guess if you want them neat then get some of the packaging that they come in and put them back in the box, or at least on the plastic spindle thing that Shimano use to help you drop them onto a freehub.
Otherwise, Christmas tree ornaments?
Modernist sculpture?
A rack to hang your spare chains on.
Separate out all the cogs and line them up on your workshop’s pegboard wall.

3 Likes

I saw one where someone repurposed one of those old boxes of blank cds. I’d imagine you wouldn’t get much bigger than a 28t in under the lid, though.

1 Like

I used 2 options. When I was in a appartment I used a 30cm water pipe fixed to a base and had all the cassettes piled up on top of each other’s. A bit cumbersome but I had all the parts together. With more space now I have a board with a line of 8 shorter pipes so I could individually store 8 cassettes.

4 Likes

Every time I stored a cassette I switched groupset after a while and never used it again. I’d first make sure I’d really need to store it.

Otherwise, an old inner cardboard of a toilet paper roll is all you need, fold it to reduce a bit the diameter which makes it act as a spring and lock all the cogs and spacers into place, then in a box/tupperware/shelf.

4 Likes

A CD diameter is 12cm, given the half inch chain link length, this CD box will fit up to 29 teeth sprocket.

1 Like

Not sure why you need to go more than ziptie and throw them in a bucket, drawer, bin, whatever route but a freehub is 35mm in diameter so you can buy a 1.25" diameter wooden dowel, screw it to a piece of plywood to act as a base and then slide the cassette over and make a casette stand that looks like a christmas tree. You can do the same with a m8-1.25" threaded rod and some large washers. Kind of seems like a bit of a faff than what you’re currently doing though? Is there a specific reason you want an alternative storage method? Travel? Aesthetics?

2 Likes

I have been working on a file for 3d printing a cassette case but haven’t gotten round to actually printing it yet to try but that’s my plan… essentially the CD case approach Leinster mentioned but adaptable to whatever size you need. Did something similar for rotors and it’s worked out well in keeping them clean and unbent.

2 Likes

For me, zip-tie and into a box–don’t/can’t see even the smallest issue with that.

3 Likes

how is this a discussion topic. scraping the bottom for sure. why not road droppers and how to make one that goes down and forward, say <= 60 deg. forget di2. if you want to have servos and batteries on a bike, put them here.

Uh… what? Did you comment on the right thread? Nobody is talking about droppers, electronics, di2, servos, or batteries on this post and I’m not sure how anything you just said relates, even tangentially, to storing cassettes.

2 Likes

I use two rubber bands in a cross pattern. It’s quick and easy and surprisingly stable.

5 Likes