Chanel 9 ruined Women's Elite race coverage

I gritted my teeth through all the constant advertising at all the important moments. Now, with barely 2kms to go in the Women’s Elite road race coverage and just moments to go until the dramatic conclusion… and Channel 9 stops the coverage and switches to… the news headlines.

The news headlines? THE NEWS HEADLINES!!

What a bunch of ASS HATS.

7 Likes

They changed the coverage to 9 GO at the end. No warning, like they sometimes do when they switch channels on SBS coverage. But it was predictable that it would be a shit show. Pretty ordinary commentary, ad breaks during some of the most crucial parts of the race etc. The only bright side was that I predicted a Van Vleuten win, but I did not know she won until much later when I checked the results because they stuffed up the last 5 kms of the broadcast!

3 Likes

That ad break that seemed to go forever just with, what 5km to go, destroyed it totally.

3 Likes

Absolute joke! Either broadcast the race properly or not at all… was watching on Foxtel which has no 9Go channel option and missed the last 2 ks

4 Likes

I had the fortune to see the whole thing. What a great win, but how are her socks UCI compliant? They’re basically triathlete compression length.

1 Like

There is a hack - do a 7 day trial subscription with Stan Sport and then cancel it. No ads for tomorrow’s mens :+1:

1 Like

Yeah I thought that too?

Better hack (for me) … Nord VPN to UK, and then GCN+.
Could only stand Rochelle commentating for 5 mins before it was all too much.

4 Likes

sad they got the rights. No affinity for the sport, no previous interest. No real surprise they flicked over to Channel 9 News which, the last time I saw it, dwells on Sydney house fires, Sydney road rage incidents, Sydney house prices, with a few moments devoted to less important issues such as floods in Pakistan.

4 Likes

Yeah, I have a GCN+ subscription but they weren’t broadcasting the race to Australia due to Ch9 having exclusive rights. I guess another reason to think of VPNing that sort of stuff.

3 Likes

Totally agree. It was a truly painful experience - and the range of demographics for advertising! Competitions for an engagement rings through children’s toys! A shotgun approach by marketing.

1 Like

Disclaimer: I don’t work for them, but NordVPN is great. They have great deals … often on Cycling Podcast (just read their show notes).

Wotks so well. Watched the whole week on GCN.

3 Likes