CIC-Tour Féminin International des Pyrénées

Long time listener, first time caller here. Am I missing something? I can’t find any coverage here of Krista Doebel-Hickock dominating this race. I tried the search feature but got nada.
It seems like a pretty big deal to me as she just finished up a great Tour last week and now conquering the Pyrenees this week. Maybe it’s still early.

The race was covered by GCN in Canada and the US, and probably in other markets as well.

1 Like

Thanks.

I was just kind of hoping they’d at least have a blurb here on the site mentioning her accomplishments. They’ve done a good job supporting women’s cycling and I thought this victory by KDH would be right in the wheelhouse for that effort. There was a nice article on a competing site but nothing here. Maybe next year I guess.

It was quite an omission, but I don’t know what the deal is these days - CT seems to be more selective than before concerning what they cover, directly at least.

Unfortunately the Tour des Pyrénées clashed over the weekend with the Vårgårda WestSweden TTT and Road Race, which is a Women’s World Tour event so I suppose it got precedence, although I watched both and the Pyrénées Tour was far more eventful and exciting - like a real proper Tour should be. It was held around a hilly (obviously given its name!), old-style, picturesque part of France. The coverage was a bit shaky but I expect the budget would be a fair bit lower, although I’ve no idea how it compares with a WWT event.

With the Pyrénées Tour clashing with the Swedish WWT race, EF TIBCO-SVB and Human Powered Health were the only WWT teams there, so maybe the result flattered to deceive somewhat, same as with BEX at the Thüringen Tour earlier this year where they were the only WWT team, but Krista Doebel-Hickok was a class above, same as with Alexandra Manly at Thüringen.

Emma Langley, in the Stars and Stripes jersey, did a monster turn to set up Doebel-Hickok for the win on the third stage. If you don’t have access to Eurosport/GCN or whatever else and didn’t get to see it, the stages were streamed on YouTube, just with French commentary - here’s Stage 3 and Stage 4 - hopefully they’re not geo-blocked for you.

Doebel-Hickok had done enough to have more or less clinched the GC by Stage 3 so she didn’t have to contest the win on Stage 4, the last stage, but it turned out to be a cliffhanger - a real classic - you don’t need a super high class entry for a race or stage to be exciting. And yeah, maybe next year - it was just the inaugural Tour Féminin des Pyrénées and it deserves to flourish.

Actually, once Abby and the rest of the crowd have finished mopping the floor after all the tears shed in the last Freewheeling Podcast (it’s well worth listening to, though!), they might well cover it in the next one along with the Swedish event, provided they don’t get hung up for too long on the scurrilous Vos ‘puppy paws’ DQ.