Considerations for skinny cyclists

I’m a pretty lightweight cyclist- 130 lbs (59 kg). We all know that tire pressure is dependent on rider/bicycle weight. Are there other special considerations, either from a equipment or technique standpoint, that a lighter-than-average cyclist might take to improve their experience?

Some ideas I have that may or may not be true:
-Smaller disc brake rotors (cuts weight, because less braking power is needed)
-Wheels with shallower rims (with less inertia, lighter riders are more susceptible to getting blown by crosswinds)
-Narrower handlebars (for narrower shoulders)
-More care on gravel (less weight, less traction)
-Easier gear ratios (less muscle mass, less torque)
-General weight-weeny-ness (since the bike carries a relatively higher proportion of the weight of the overall system)

Any other ideas? Feel free to debunk any of these ideas!

3 Likes

Try and find a “diesel” rider to sit behind on flatter group rides. The bigger the better I find.

9 Likes

Aero is even more important when small and skinny as your frontal area can have less impact in the right aero position and it can help counter balance the smaller power output.

Pretty agree with anything you said, except 2 ideas:

• smaller disc brake rotors: just stick to the rim brakes, even lighter and way less expensive
  • easier gear ratios: lighter cyclists tend to have a higher power to weight ratio, so they climb at higher speed and on higher gradients they can push taller gear ratios. You have less torque in the muscles? Yes, but the same gradient will produce a way lower “torque against you” because it depends on your mass (weight) that is reduced, compared to the one of a bigger cyclist.
    Look at the pros: the lighter and skinnier the cyclist (and shorter also), the harder the ratios he can push uphill.
2 Likes

if you are short, you can always go to 650b wheels/frame. 700c gets a bit out of proportion for <50cm size frames

1 Like