Copper anti-seize compound and carbon laminates

I’ve got a new carbon Zipp SL Speed stem with titanium bolts and it’s best to use anti-seize on titanium and ti threads (as opposed to standard grease). Bought some Loctite brand copper anti-seize compound for this and other uses, any risk to the carbon stem body?
Thanks.

Isn’t the copper just to prevent cold-welding of titanium with other metals?

In that case, regular anti-seize should be just fine between Ti and carbon, I think.

I would guess there’s some metal female parts embedded in the stem body to receive the bolts. Zipp’s manual for the stem says to use ti anti seize for the bolts with no warning about damaging the carbon. Just apply carefully and wipe away any excess.

Edit: anti seize is much stickier than typical grease, so don’t use too much because it’s more annoying to clean up.

2 Likes

yep, metal thread inserts for faceplate, drop-in aluminum thread inserts for steerer clamp (plus six ti bolts). I have these mental images of some random anti-seize goop softening the resin in the carbon steerer body. odds are it’ll be fine, but those odds still leave the residue of doubt in my mind.

The only place for copper anti-seize on a bicycle is titanium on titanium threads that require a high torque, relative to the threads diameter. Which means bolt and nut are made from titanium. That combination creates a lot of friction if not properly lubed.

Copper anti-seize is an electric conductor. Used between two different metals it facilitates galvanic corrosion. Which means in your case that the aluminum inserts, especially if those are not anodized, will corrode. The bolts will finally seize and you’ll not be able to loosen them. I’ve seen it often enough. It also happens when people use copper anti-seize on ti seat posts in frames with an aluminum seat tube insert. Which most titanium frames feature.

Do yourself a favor and use either non-metallic anti-seize compound or some regular thick water-proof grease to lube the ti bolts.

4 Likes

deleted

Thanks for the input. So as far as you’re aware, would most non-metallic anti-seize compounds be safe around carbon fiber laminates?

I haven’t seen or heard of cases where a non-metallic anti-seize compound has damaged a carbon fibre composite. And I can’t figure what the chemical process would be which involves such a compound.