Credit where credit is due

I recently had a fairly nasty spill. I got lucky, given the speed, and appear to have got away with some decent road rash, a possibly cracked rib or 2, and a very definitely cracked helmet . I’m back on the (remarkably intact) bike, although hard efforts and bumpy roads are not fun! I did, however, completely rip open my Rapha Pro Winter jacket at the shoulder and side.

I thought I’d try my luck with Rapha’s crash repair service. Within 24 hours, they’d emailed back, saying that based on the pictures, it wasn’t repairable, but sent me a £70 voucher (able to be used on any full priced item or items). I didn’t ask for it, to be clear.

I know Rapha have a certain reputation in some circles, and get a bit of stick on the meme accounts, but this was fantastic customer service, and they have now gone to the top of my list when I’m next looking for higher end new kit. I could contrast this with Le Col, for example, who offered me much less of a discount on a waterproof jacket that was clearly not waterproof…

Anyway, we all moan about stuff failing and crappy customer service, so I thought I’d give some credit where it was due.

19 Likes

Good to hear about your positive experience with Rapha, and I’m glad the crash wasn’t worse. Hope you’re back riding again soon!

1 Like

Good to hear. I’ve also had really good service from them over the years. Some complain of the high prices but I think that once you factor the service in then the value in Rapha is there.

3 Likes

I’ve always had great experience with Rapha sales and service. I bought a few pieces this year that didn’t live up to Rapha’s normal high standard, but I remain hopeful that I just had bad luck. Regardless, customer service was fast, friendly, and took care of me.

1 Like

I had the same experience after tearing a jersey in a crash.

I went down at 30+mph in The Rift this year….put some small tears in my GoreTex ShakeDry jacket. They couldn’t repair it, but offered me a 30% discount code to buy a new one.

5 Likes

I unapologetically wear Rapha products. Like you, I’ve found their customer service to be second-to-none.

I once had a speedsuit given to me by my ex-wife. She’d purchased it on a business trip at a clubhouse. Fast forward to a couple years later & we were no longer together & I crashed wearing the kit. I didn’t have the original purchase receipt but they agreed to take the speedsuit in for repairs. It wasn’t fixable but they offered me a substantial voucher towards purchase. I was already a fan but that above-&-beyond care solidified my love.

I’ve since had a couple other pieces repaired & the quality is as good as new.

4 Likes

Similar here. Like I’ve found in other places, sometimes you get what you pay for.

3 Likes

Would agree and I think customer service is key and should be expected with a higher price - which Rapha tend to do expertly.

2 Likes

I buy from Rapha over the sales, but their customer care is top notch as well…

1 Like

I’m not a fan of Rapha in general but I have to give it to them that they do have great customer service. And, to offer a counter perspective on Le Col, I’ve had fantastic experience with their customer service as well the only two times I’ve had occasion to use them. After a crash early last year, they gave me 50% off replacement of everything I’d been wearing. Over the summer, a new pair of bibs had a weird issue with the stitching on one leg where the double stitch was crisscrossed over itself when I received them, I emailed them to let them know just as an FYI. Wasn’t even requesting an exchange or anything as it didn’t really seem like it would be a problem in terms of quality, just a weird machine glitch or something misaligned during manufacturing. Got this reply:

1 Like

Nice to hear, and I’m glad you had a better experience than I did.

1 Like

My friend had a similar experience with Le Col in that he had a very minor complaint & they sent him a replacement pair, no questions asked. That’s pretty awesome.

2 Likes

Since we’re naming brands with great Customer Service, I also want to mention Assos. A few years ago, I had multiple pairs of bibs all develop holes in the exact same location. I don’t know if it was a defect, my saddle, or what, but I contacted Assos about their repair program. They asked me for pictures, I sent them, and they replied that repair would be expensive, so if it was all right with me, they were sending me multiple pairs of brand new bibs! I was blown away. Now that’s great service.

3 Likes