Do you lock up your bikes in garage/shed/basement?

I do with cables and padlocks in my garage, but after watching a video of someone cutting a 1/2in cable lock in 7sec, one-handed, I’m rethinking my stationary lock set up. Especially now with skyrocketing theft numbers. So, down the rabbit hole I went after $100 concrete floor anchors, $300 chains, and $200 U-locks. Honestly doesn’t seem exorbitant for peace of mind, and there’s not enough space in my bedroom for all the bikes. Anyone else?

1 Like

Yep, I’ve had my garage broken into before and bikes stolen so now always lock my bikes securely. Garages are very easy to break into as they’re often in secluded locations and the standard locks are frankly rubbish.

I’ve got Hiplok Airlok’s installed into the garage wall which are Diamond rated to keep the insurers happy:

I also use a garage defender to try and prevent the thieves getting in there in the first place.

expensive/nice bikes stay in the house.

6 Likes

I don’t… we live in a small town - and there’s a lock on the garden fence and the shed…

The only bike I ever put a lock on was the $$$ Wilier Filante (12-sp DA Di2, DA C50 wheels, PRO Vibe Evo handlebar) that Shimano let me take home for ~5 weeks :sweat_smile: :money_mouth_face:

When my wife and I go on vacation without our bicycles, I lock them all 5 of them together in the basement with two U-locks and cables.

The best bike lives in the house and always will. The others live in the outhouse. We live in a semi-rural location and (touch wood) crime is rare. However, I am seriously contemplating a secure steel bike storage unit when we remodel the back of the house/extend later this year.

My garage is detached and at the back of a no alley lot so I have a long driveway. With a gate. Dogs go nuts anytime someone is even on the front sidewalk. My wife is 100% work at home, and I’m ~25%. All that makes me feel pretty secure, but the special bikes go in the basement locked up when we’re gone. I’ve also taken to unplugging the garage door opener when no one is home. Plus, we have a no deductible, no questions asked scheduled rider on homeowner’s policy for bikes.

Uuh :woozy_face: a friend of mine did this (albeit with just two). Result: thieves cut the cheaper bike frame and took the more expensive one :sweat:
Second time around he went with wall mounted locks and they just took the suspension fork and dropper seat :unamused:
I definitely would have moved at this point… And insurances don’t like this too…

1 Like

Fair point, but it’s mostly for my own piece of mind. Our bicycles are typically in different parts of the house when we’re not on vacation. For example, a matching pair of De Rosa’s in Ferrari red (one road, one track) hang in the dining room. The others are typically scattered through the basement.

I leave the commuter unlocked. Maybe they will just steal just that one.

Nice bikes that I use regularly are in my home office, other equipment is in the garage. We have two larger dogs, one of which competes in Schutzhund and is phenomenal at protection tasks. I have an insulated garage door and live in a warm climate so I crack the interior garage door at night and when I leave. If someone wants to deal with a big ass German Shepherd/Mastiff that does not want them there than they’ve earned my ancient tubulars hanging in the garage. Not a bad idea for sparingly used bikes though.

Can you share the cost of the rider, and which insurance co?

in an outhouse??? in canada an outhouse is essentially a covered outside toilet

I think that in order for this to be meaningfully effective, you would need some serious locks/chains. Someone breaking into a garage intent on stealing bikes is likely to have some tools with them, and it doesn’t take much to get through cables or normal locks. They are hidden from view inside the building, so can generally take their time. My garage includes many easily find-able tools that could cut through most locking setups, which doesn’t help things.
A cable lock may help a little against casual theft, but not against anyone out to get bikes.

1 Like

Ha! Essentially a small, brick, shed-like outbuilding. The door is solid hardwood and has 2 decent locks, but it wouldn’t stop someone determined with tools.

However, they’d be in full sight of the house, the neighbours, our small but very noisy and territorial dog, and we have a motion sensitive light. In other words, you’ll wake up the street and be wholly visible.

A friend of my wife’s is a local police officer, and he essentially says this: the level of effort and expense you have to go to to make anything impossible to steal is huge and rarely worth it. What you have to do is have sufficient security that a) your insurance will pay up and b) it just isn’t worth the thief’s effort and risk, because there will be similar but easier targets elsewhere.

In practical terms, that means ensuring that breaking into wherever will be slow, noisy, ideally visible and requiring power tools; that combo is enough to dissuade all but the most committed or professional robbers.

It’s a variation of the old joke where 2 men are cornered by a bear in a forest. One starts running. His friend says ‘Why run? You can’t outrun a bear!’ He replies, ‘No, but I only have to outrun you.’

4 Likes

Thanks for asking because it prompted me to dig out my policy. Which of course showed me I sorely need to update as some of these bikes aren’t worth nearly as much as when initially listed or are not even worth insuring anymore. Plus, I need to add new ones.

This section of my policy is called Itemized Valuable Articles Coverage as a subheading on the Valuable Articles Schedule page. It states “no deductible shall apply to loss to items described below”. My agent says it covers damage as a loss too. Think roof rack/garage kind of thing. As it sits now there’s jewelry and bikes with $xx,xxx total insured amount. This additional coverage is $242/yr. We’ve been paying this for exactly 20yrs after having 3 bikes stolen at once from a locked parking garage. One was a custom painted, painstakingly built up Bianchi Reparto Corse steel mountain bike. Still hurts. (if you ever see one in pearl white with “bianchi” in a celeste vintage font and Interloc tubular chromoly cranks please reach out)

$5k every 20yrs is OK with me. Our homeowner’s policy is with Safeco, but I imagine most policies have this option.

1 Like

Main takeaway: turn off electricity in these key areas - but then, simulating someone’s there, when you actually ain’t is also some kind of theft-protection… *ah, decisions… :hot_face:

Anyway: decent (diamond-) rated wall connected locks should go a long way. Especially together with not-easy to reach lock up areas and some neighbors to have a look / ear as told above.

1 Like

I use the biggest chain and padlock I could find and loop all my bikes together. Both ABUS brand (I’m in Australia). Probably cost $200. My best bikes live in the house but the rest in an apartment garage. I’ve had bikes stolen out of there before, prior to chain+padlock combo. Tbh the annoyance and cost you will go through when one or more get stolen will rapidly exceed a couple of hundred dollars.

Turning off the power is a good idea, at least when on vacation.
I do already have the automatic garage door power on a timer switch - they are not powered during the wee hours of the night, and I unplug it completely when on vacation. This at least makes that method of entry/exit a bit less convenient. This is mainly done to avoid garage door remote spoofing, but I don’t know how much of a risk that really is. It’s super easy to do, so the cost/benefit works out simply because the cost is so low.

1 Like

I live in a regional town and have never locked anything up (except for my wife) this includes a number of bikes that are scattered all over the house. Maybe I have just been lucky over the past 30 years. Anyway did hear a story of a recent theft involving 2 e bikes from a NSW coastal caravan park where the thieves removed the whole bike rack from the car as bikes were locked to the rack. The rack was discovered but the bikes were not!

In the house. In many regions theft from a garage is theft or a lesser charge. If someone comes into the home…well, that is residential burglary. Plus, we have Castle Doctrine and I can shoot anyone who comes into the living area…local sheriffs have even asked us to do just that!

1 Like