Does sealant in inner-tubes work?

Has anyone tried putting sealant in tubes before (for non-tubeless road tires)? Is it effective?

1 Like

It’s okay for a bit but you have to make sure the tires stays inflated & moving. Once it deflates enough that the sticky tube can touch the other side of the sticky tube it’s almost guaranteed to be a tear.

It’s crucial to make sure you run a sealant that doesn’t react with your tube material, too.

Basically: I don’t recommend officially but I don’t not recommend practically.

4 Likes

I did recently with Vittoria latex tubes. In the end I decided it was a fail because when I finally did get a puncture that the sealant couldn’t contain, the tube itself became hard to handle, with the internals of the tube sticking together with no air to keep it separate. The tube became so gunked that I couldn’t even get air past the worst sections. Normally the latex tube would be repairable but the sealant made it too difficult. Butyl might be a more successful material.

3 Likes

I also ran it with latex. I learned about the sticking when it blew out on my TT bike at 31 mph. heh.

I think it would work better in butyl due to its propensity to hold air longer.

1 Like

Been running Effetto Mariposa Caffelatex in butyl tubes in a couple wheelsets for almost three years now. Have a mix of tubed and tubeless wheelsets.

First tried it in Conti Supersonic tubes (the lightweight butyl tube that is like latex in weight and rolling resistance) on my old deep section carbon wheels on my TT bike. Used to do a series on 16km TTs on a rough as guts road. Last race of the season, leading the standings, needed to finish close to my PB to take the season prize. Was inside PB when 1km from home the front tire went soft, expected it to deflate completely, hands on base bars and it held air. So rode conservatively to finish, outside of PB, but good enough to take the season prize. So borrowed a track pump, pumped up the tire and rode 30km home and then replaced the tube.

That was enough to convince me to use it my commuting/training wheelset. Rear tube did not have a removable valve core. So after 9 months or so, the valve got clogged, had to remove the tube, which was stuck to the tire. Counted five small punctures the sealant had plugged, without me knowing. So replaced tire, tube and new sealant.

So I now try to buy tubes with removable cores, use sealant in my 3 tubed wheelsets. It is not as good as tubeless, it does not seal tubes as effectively as tubeless tires. It is messy to replace a tube but not as bad as putting a tube in tubeless.

3 Likes

Didn’t work for me.
I tried Muc Off inner tube sealant for a couple of weeks.
I have no idea if it worked as a sealant, but it repeatedly clogged the valve cores.
Apart from this (pure anecdata), the bike felt like I was riding on near solid rubber tyres when going over bumps.
Didn’t enjoy dealing with clogged valve cores so went back to running tubes without sealant.

Thanks everyone!

Yes, i have a cruiser bike that would constantly put a small hole in a tube so small i could never find it. This past spring i put some sealant in the tube. No flats since

1 Like

I’ve found it works, but not as reliably as tubeless. It seems to work better in MTB/commuter and kids bikes. I’d guess because of the thicker tubes…?
Kids have had flats and slow leaks where I’ve topped up the sealant and reinflated and it’s held.

1 Like

I consider it to be like a poor man’s tubeless. You have all the same hassles with drying sealant and clogged valves and it isn’t as effective as a real tubeless setup, but it has allowed me to finish a couple races. One was a TTT where I picked something up a few miles before the finish and we were already down to the minimum number of riders. The other was a 40k TT that I finished with a goat head sticker in the sidewall. Both of these would have been DNFs otherwise.

2 Likes

I had the same experience. I have no idea if it actually ‘worked’ - it didn’t prevent any flats that I am aware of (but that doesn’t mean it didn’t), but once it went flat the tube was a writeoff.

1 Like

I used to buy innertubes with sealant in, they worked ok but when I changed tyres I never seen any sealant so I didn’t have any leaks, but then I am not a huge beliver of tubeless anyway/

I repaired a few tubulars with tubeless sealant to avoid having the process of ungluing/unsewing/patching/sewing/gluing the tubular. It worked well. I also used it as a preventive when I did the Paris-Roubaix sportive and continued using those tires until they were worn. I can recall at least one occurence of the tubular leaking for a few kms and repairing itself. This was on a Schwalbe One tubular with butyl tube that I was using almost daily for commuting so no risk of getting the tire totally deflated.