Ever had a stolen bike returned?

In light of Caley Fretz getting his stolen bike back three years after the fact, has anything like that ever happened to you? What state was it in?

yea i got a norco search xr that was stolen in seattle back after a little over a year. guy bought it on offerup (under sketchy circumstances imo), ran the serial, and found my post on bikeindex, and then was good enough to contact me. apparently it was held in a storage unit for most of the time it was gone, i guess until it was unlikely i would be actively looking for it anymore?

i also had another bike stolen (also in seattle, it is a lovely place) that was found by the cops in a homeless camp a few days after being stolen. again cop found it on bikeindex.

1 Like

My 1972 Peugeot UO-18 mixte - my mother’s bike until she gave it to me when she turned 82 - was stolen from outside our Alameda, CA, apartment years ago. I was heartbroken.

After an intense 3-week campaign (flyers circulated in person and via PDF, searching for it in the East Bay), someone who had seen the flyers recognized it in Oakland and called me. I called Oakland PD to report it and told them I was going after the bike myself if they could not come retrieve it. They showed up ASAP (worried about me, not the bike) and pulled it out of the “known” back yard. I have been riding it - and locking it with TWO U-locks - ever since.

(It was the only one of SIX bikes I have lost to theft, including one “smash and grab” out of my car in 1982.)

1 Like

Woah, that’s cool. I haven’t heard of BikeIndex - I’ll check it out. Thanks!

I found a stolen bike in a pawn shop. Legally I could have demanded it back, but I paid the owner $100 for being honest with me when I asked him about it on the phone.

1 Like

A friend had a brand new synapse nicked from locked up outside their office, and about 9 months later the Police gave it back after stumbling on dozens of stolen bikes in another enquiry.

1 Like