For the love of steel

Here are my Ibises (Ibii?). 2 ‘98 Hakkalugis and a ‘98 Spanky. The green one is now owned by a buddy, it was too small for me. The others are ridden regularly, and I have to say that the Spanky is the smoothest, fastest bike I’ve ever ridden.

6 Likes

Ibes, pronounced “E-Bays”. Not that there are any native Latin speakers left.

1 Like

Excellent. Thanks!

Nope. It’s ibitis

According to their website the bike is named after the bird : it’s the common name of a few species of threskiornis, AKA bin chickens over here…

Latin ibis, plural ibes.

from Greek ἶβις, plural ἶβες

per Oxford dictionary of etymology.

1 Like

But isn’t “you will ride” a lot more intriguing, with ibis being second person singular, ibitis second person plural? Strikes me as more befitting than a bird that lives in the water.

But this discussion may be just a little bit off topic and - without asking the manufacturer - slightly academic.

I wonder how a steel Hakkalügi rides: I was ready to pull the trigger on a carbon MX just before Christmas, but find the steel model really charming as well.

Edit: you did go to the manufacturer, sorry. So I stand corrected.

Yeah, what is it with bike makers who name themselves after birds? Obviously a terrible idea.

5 Likes

The geometry between the original Hakkalugi and the MX is nearly identical, if I recall, the MX has a longer TT and is about .2 degrees slacker in the HT. My Hakkalugi is Tange with a stainless chainstay while my Spanky is Columbus and my son’s is Dedaccai- I think they were all made with what was on hand that day. My Hakkalugi is very smooth and fun on fire roads and Singletrack, and I’ve raced a bit of cx on it. It’s limited to about 35c tires. I have a custom gravel bike that has the same geo with 50c tires, and it’s an absolute gas on blue singletrack. It goes from point-and-hope to point-and-giggle. I think the wheels and tires are the biggest difference for ride quality, by comparison the Spanky with tubeless 25s feels nearly frictionless on even the worst Colorado road surfaces. Ibis steel drop bar bikes are very rare, if you find one you won’t regret it. The MX gets great reviews too, but the longer TT didn’t suit me.

1 Like

Thanks! If they are rare in the US, they will be all but extinct in Europe.

I see what you mean regarding the TT length.

I had Waltly Titanium make me a frame with the geo I wanted. Amateurs copy; professionals steal. If I had to, I could live with that bike and the Spanky only (but I don’t have to).

9 Likes

Pretty stoked with how this one came out. Custom build from Spoon Customs, based around the EE Brakes El TD Ltd edition. I wanted a classic frame with some modern (AXS) touches.

13 Likes

Cinelli is an Italian brand. Their steel frames are made in Italy with Columbus tubes.
They also have inox frames with XCR tubes and available also without paint, just the shiny inox natural finish.

1 Like

“Ibis” in Latin (and also in Italian) is pronounced “e-bis”, with “bis” like you say it in “biscuit”.

I am aware of that; if you read my post you will see I gave the pronunciation of the plural.

1 Like

I just placed an order for a custom bicycle from Jaegher. So excited!

2 Likes

We just built this custom Bellé Cycles RoadRaceR up last week. Lovely frame, lots of tasty bits from Bike Ahead, Bjorn, Nova Ride, Carbon Ti, Mcfk. Turned out well.

3 Likes

Something abt the aesthetic of a horizontal tt - lovely alignment to the environs. In a pic like this, you can really see where a bike used to flex compared to where they do now.

1 Like

This is a really sweet looking ride, enjoy!

1 Like

Here are a few of my steel bikes. 2002 Horace Bates (built by Ron Cooper), 2013 Tallerico track bike, early Medici Pro Strada (restored by Ed Litton), and my 2008 Della Santa.

6 Likes