For the love of steel

That’s a fascinating article. Thanks to you and @Keith_Heinrich for bringing it to my attention.

Funny, it kind of echoes what Jan Heine’s been saying; get something that fits really well, and focus on the bits that contact you and the road: saddle, bars, tyres. It makes more and more sense the more I think about it.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from For the love of steel:

here is a truly poor quality picture of my Bishop road bike

8 Likes

After cracking a few carbon frames I’ve gone for a steel mountain bike - Pipedream Full Moxie. It’ll be interesting to see how it goes…

4 Likes

Well, sooner or later every frame material will fail, due to repeated stress (vibrations or hard impacts). So the real difference that you would see is in frame-lifetime.
Here it gets complicated: have you been riding frames made for racing, ultra light, ultra stiff and so on? Then chances are high, that the engineers made choices towards lightness of build rather than longevity. Had you chosen a “lower spec” frame for enthusiast riding (as opposed too professional), engineers would not bother to much with weight. This metric goes for every frame material: you can have ultra-light and thin steel which breaks after a few thousand miles or you can have a stiff and sturdy world traveller which is heavy but never breaks under your normal load, it rather rusts through :wink:
Subsummations made for easy explaining - here lurks a rabbit hole full of material science and design choices - don’t get me wrong, it is perfectly reasonable to expect longevity from a high-end racing frame

I have only 80s steel, give or take a couple of years

9 Likes

Soma wolverine:

Talbot stainless:

1 Like

Some good bikes here.

Here‘s a couple of photos of my Stelbel, built with XCR stainless and Record mechanical + rim brakes because I didn’t believe the hype, and truth be told, the brakes have better modulation and are a lot less hassle than discs and the gears work with a mechanical clunk. It is a bit slower than my carbon aero wonder machine, but by less than you’d expect. I’d argue it’s better on rough roads, particularly light gravel tracks as it flows along.

8 Likes

I’ve got only steel bikes in the stable at the moment. Currently I have the lovely ritchey ouback breakaway (that I wish came in the guac color instead of queso):

2 Likes

Lovely bike (and a very, very similar colourway to the Rourke I’ve just ordered).

My Breadwinner Lolo

5 Likes

That’s beautiful

RIH Amsterdam - Model Super Course (ca. 1992)
Ultegra 6700 derailleurs & shifters
Ultegra 6800 crank & brakes
Dura Ace 7400 wheels :star_struck:
Columbus Minimal forks

6 Likes

My Kumo light randonneur. Custom made in Aus, kitted with Campag Chorus, tubeless handbuilt wheels (Hed Belgium/White Ind/Son Edelux/Compas tires), Berthoud bags.

My current gravel weapon - Curve GXR ‘Kevin of Steel’, stock build with Apex1. Goes very well.
20180928_144135

My Ritchey Swiss Cross - my second ‘gravel’ bike, sold to make room for Kevin. Do miss it!

My Surly Cross Check - has had many guises, here as my first gravel bike. A very good companion to many adventures. Sold to make room for the Swiss Cross. Many good memories.

My Basso Loto, built with Campag Veloce, handbuilt wheels (H+Son TB14/White Industries/Corsas). Sold to make rom for carbon wheels for the fast roadie. Again, do miss this one!

3 Likes

And then there were four.

2 Likes

Good choice and a nice collection. :ok_hand:

Love that look of the -17 deg stem!

My neo-retro Battaglin Marosticana. Campy SR 11 speed gruppo and some Vision Metron 55mm wheels here ready for what turned out to be a 230km epic.

3 Likes

Normally run Campag Shamals

2 Likes

Which makes it easier to take my favorite shot when riding with mates.

1 Like

I should get in before this fades away.

Breadwinner B-Road in winter wear. Also does gravel/all-road duty in summer. DA9120 w/ HED Belgium+ on DT240S hubs.

Hampsten Crema, former winter bike with long reach calipers. DA7900/9100 bastard mix, TRP brakes, HED Belgium+ on White Ind T11 hubs.

1 Like