For the love of steel

Great light the Lezine Strip drive, isn’t it?

1 Like

Here is my Ritte Phantom.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s it.

I have a couple contributions to this thread. A 1984 Pinarello Montello (nearly all original, w/ Campy Nuevo Record and pantographed parts), a late-90s/early-00s Eddy Merckx Corsa-01, and a late-80s Pinarello Veneto. The Pinarellos were a bit small for me, unfortunately, but the Eddy Merckx, which was in great shape, was the right size, and it road wonderfully. Nice spring, smooth on slight bumps, pleasant to climb with.

4 Likes

And is the 1984 Pinarello Montello in all its Campy NR and pantographed glory.

4 Likes

And here is the late-80s Pinarello Veneto.

2 Likes

Le vrai, le Greg, Lemond. TIG Reynolds 853, Ultegra+DA, Rolls, Cinelli XA + No. 66 “Campione del Mundo” - comme il faut.

4 Likes

That is seriously nice, comme il faut indeed :slight_smile:

I’ve been a longtime fan of steel bikes and what they’re capable of so I built this one up as a test bike for myself a few years ago. It has since been recently retired to reuse the parts for a revised frame. It saw quite a few miles and was ridden on trails it had no business being on but kept on going!

CXP-01 Project

4 Likes

Fun thread. My highest mileage unit in its 4th decade of service. Cramerotti built late 80s w/ custom 60s geo (72deg seat): SLX/Cinelli lugs/Campy drop outs. Campy group, Cinelli stem/bar, Rolls, Belgium+ rims on Superlogic hubs.

2 Likes

That looks quite … cool, actually.
How did those ultra-dropped seat stays affect the ride?

It was designed to be a CX frame and having those ultra-dropped seatstays helped smooth out the ride to the point that the 33/35mm tires felt like 45’s or 50’s. More importantly the extra flex helped to improve the traction on “chattery” terrain when you’re trying to put down the power.

This is a very clever and interesting experiment. It’s effectively a dual cantilever frame. Another way to experiment might be going back to 1" steerers, or smaller. For me at least (mostly road), the 1 1/8" standard is too big, too stiff.

My contribution. Saddle tilt has been adjusted since :slight_smile:
1985 Moser, re grouped in 2008 with Campagnolo Veloce.

A few regulars of mine.

• Light blue is an '88 Schwinn Premis that I brazed new cable guide to and powdercoated.
  • Dark blue is a Fairlight Secan gravel frame.
  • Purple is a slightly too small Tange 1 frame from '89 that was powdercoated. An innicycle headset conversion makes it threadless.
  • Orange and white is a Columbus Zona frame I built in a local class a handful of years ago taught by Jeff Bock.
1 Like

How tall are you? Those frames are huge!