Frame painters in US

Hi all, want to potentially repaint my road frame. It is steel. Live in the Chicagoland area. It is an Officina Battaglin and although they are more than happy to work with me, shipping to Italy with a 6 month turnaround (and the price-its as much as I paid for the frame!!) , looking for local options. Not sure if recs like this are allowed in forums, but if not, can others who have done this give me some things to look for/ask?

http://www.darkmatterfinishing.com/services

1 Like

I’ve used Jack @ Franklin Frames. I think he does really nice work for relatively little money. If you want an EXACT color, decals, etc. it is likely worth sending a frame elsewhere. Tommy’O Designs up in Michigan appears to do really nice work. If you’re up for the top of the top check out Jeffrey Bock in Iowa. There are many others of course, but these are all great options.

3 Likes

i know there’s blackmagic paint who are great but at the top end of pricing. another is twcarbon who i feel charges fairly for the work and has a reasonable turnaround.

2 Likes

I’ll “second” this recommendation for Dark Matter Finishing. Ollie does extraordinary work!

2 Likes

Check out Waterford Precision Cycles in Waterford, WI. They specialize in Schwinn Paramounts but restore other brands as well.

2 Likes

Cyclocarbon?

1 Like

One more vote for Dark Matter finishing. I had my Kestrel repainted last year. Reserved a spot on the calendar. He turned it around on time, and the end result exceeded expectations. Great experience and end product.

1 Like

+1 For DarkMatter and TWCarbon

My wife’s custom frame was painted by Ollie at DM and looks amazing.

The TW folks are based near where I live in STL. They’ve done a lot of carbon repair and custom finishes for a lot of folks that show up to the local group rides. Everything that I’ve seen in person has been stellar.

Either would be a great option.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! Seeing as I am close to Waterford will try them, as well as Dark Magic.

There are two main choices to paint the bike frame: matte and glossy paints. The glossy type has more depth and is easy to clean. The matte type, on the other hand, such as matte black paint, makes scratches less visible but can look chalky.

1 Like

Always disliked my dark matte painted frames for the chalky reason. You wash the bike on Sunday, do one interval session on Tuesday, and after the ride it looks like it’s got more bodily fluids on it than the sheets at an hourly airport motel.

I live 15 minutes from Franklin Frames. How on earth do you get this guy to respond? I sent several messages and emails. Eventually I called him at the home number and spoke with his wife who gave him the phone. I was finally able to speak with him about my project and he said he’d get back to me. Then like a fart in the wind. Subsequent follow-ups went hollow.

1 Like

Just some kind persistence. I don’t recall how long it first took to get in touch with Jack. I’ve had him do a few things and so he’s pretty responsive. My impression is that he’s busy, or as busy as he wants to be, and has quite a few regular customers.

These guys were great to talk to: Black Magic Paint-Home

There does live a Latin wizard in the state of Texas named Mauricio. One of the few officially Giant-certified carbon painters out there. Highly skilled. Quite creative, if you let him go there. And an all-around excellent human.

1 Like

https://instagram.com/mphpaint?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=