Full Support for Climate Crisis Protesters at Today's TdF Stage

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I support the protestors from today’s stage. The climate crisis is the most urgent crisis facing humanity today, and if stopping the world’s biggest bike race will help create attention and real action, then I’m all for it. Yes I race bikes, and I can understand frustration on behalf of the riders. I’m sure I’d be frustrated too. But in 10 years when French summers are too dangerously hot to race bikes, I’ll bet pro racers will be wishing they had been protesting too.

33 Likes

Agree. In much of France for the next week or two the temperature will be 100 degrees or above. While cycling should be part of the solution, many of the top teams are sponsored by greenwashing petrostates (UAE, BV and Astana) or oil companies (Ineos). UCI should be going carbon neutral with EV support vehicles and highlighting the global warming problem.

16 Likes

I was hoping that some of the more high profile riders would be coming out in public after the stage to talk about the protest and maybe give their support, as Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel did after the disrupted British Grand Prix. Disappointingly I don’t think any of them have yet publically supported the intentions of the protestors.

8 Likes

I don’t care much about the stage getting interrupted, but if it jeopardizes the safety of the riders, team personnel or even the protestors, then it is a slightly different issue, IMO.

This was especially true last weekend at Silverstone for the F1 race….somebody could have been killed.

But yeah, overall, I don’t mind the protestors interrupting the race…

1 Like

Definitely not disagreeing with you. However, the TDF is a terrible blight on the world’s climate.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think things got lucky at Silverstone. If the race hadn’t been red-flagged by the time they got around to Hangar Straight there may have been some terrible consequences.

1 Like

I agree and support the protestors, too. And Bradley Wiggins made me like him even less when he called them imbeciles. Tour de France protests: Bradley Wiggins blasted for “imbeciles” and “great scenes” comments; ‘Teaching a child to punish a cyclist?’ Ashley Neal on driver; Pogačar’s teammates' Covid positives; Stuck team bus blocks TDF start + more on the live blog | road.cc

1 Like

If you want to protest, go ahead and protest. But do it on the side of the road and don’t interfere with the race. Your message gets lost if all you manage to do is tick people off.

7 Likes

I disagree. If you stay calm and nice on the side of the road nobody cares and goes about their business and nothing ever happens. Good for the protestors blocking the race.

14 Likes

You may have forgotten TotalEnergies here as an oil & gas company. Then you also may add Citroën from “AG2R la Citroën Mondiale” to the list (Citroën is a French car maker for those who wouldn’t know).

1 Like

“The annual footprint of the Tour de France was estimated in 2013 to be 341,000 tonnes of CO2 and a study of its 2007 London Grand Départ estimated that attendees expended enough energy in travelling to the event to run the London Underground for four years… A recent study calculated that every tonne of CO2 emitted would see the global economy £2,170 worse off by the end of the century. Based on this, each Tour costs our great-grandchildren an eye-watering £740m. And that’s just the Tour.”

7 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

“Delusional theories”…FFS.

3 Likes

Congrats. You seem really cool and smart.

1 Like

Reminder: Do not feed the trolls.

2 Likes

Bicycle races should be an example and lead the way to environmental responsibility. What happens with TdF, well, that’s not a virtuous example to anyone. Let’s start doing without the Sponsor Caravan which is totally embarrassing and anachronistic.
Total support to the protesters, and I feel sorry for them to be only seven people when they should have been seventy seven hundred seven thousand.

6 Likes

Serious question -why?

Bike racing is not about sustainability or the environment. It is a sport, not a cause.

Just because bicycles are excellent tools for helping combat the climate crisis doesn’t mean that bike races need to promote that cause.

Sure, it would be nice if they did, but there is no imperative that they “should” be an example.

2 Likes

I understand your point.
But please consider also this: the link between “clean environment” and “bicycles/bike racing” is a strong association, which is exactly why companies like Total Energies try to do greenwash themselves through sponsorship in bike racing.

1 Like

Sagan was hired to “go green”, but that backfired it seems :smiley:

4 Likes