Gloves or no gloves?

Watching Pogacar come a cropper on the stage 18 descent of the Tour, using his gloveless hand slide across the road got me thinking. It seems a reasonable percentage of the mens and womens peloton now ride without gloves (or mitts if you are a traditionalist). Obviously they haven’t checked out the back of sun damaged hands of anyone who has spent a lot of time outdoors. So it’s my preference to wear gloves for a number of reasons.

What about you - gloves or no gloves?

1 Like

No gloves for training gloves for racing.

2 Likes

Seconded. I hate wearing gloves but I wouldn’t race without them.

2 Likes

Kinda short answer - gloves for all riding, fun rides, training and racing (not too often anymore)!

Longer answer - the reason being that I spend more time riding my bikes than actually racing, so there are more chances of an accident happening then. I prefer gloves with squishy padding (hard to find nowadays). In the old days Spenco gloves had serious amounts of gel, I don’t think they are made anymore. I once heard that gloves are helmets for one’s palms…

1 Like

Gloves 100%…inside and outside.

Inside for moisture management, outdoors for grip and crash protection.

Saw guys racing gravel this weekend at Dustbowl 100 and a couple of them went down in corners. Just don’t understand it…

6 Likes

So many reasons FOR gloves. I’m in Melbourne.
The other morning it was minus 1 on the ride to work so no brainer (I even put thin disposable rubber gloves underneath but it was still cold) and in summer we get plus 40 so extra protection from the sun as the original poster said.
Better in the event of a whoops.
I have an arthritic auto immune issue gloves provide a better grip (when struggling or tired) as well as padding for extra cushioning.
Hell I ride 1 km to the shops and wish I had them on.

4 Likes

I could never ride without gloves having seen what hands look like (not mine) in a off.
Certainly I’ve had a few offs over the years, and gloves have protected my hands well each time.

2 Likes

No cycling gloves outside ever. Don’t have the instinctive reaction to stick hands out. And like a bit of a slippy hold on the handlebars. Both unusual I guess. Have something like 23 fractures all over body but have never had road rash on palms. Do wear cycling gloves indoors. That could be an oddity too.

No gloves ever. They make my hands feel gross. I don’t race and have been pretty lucky with crashes. The hand injury’s I have had from crashes would not have been helped by gloves.

gloves<<tacky surface bar tape. rain or shine, hot or cold.

Gloves on. I sweat like a pig and need to wipes it out all the time.
Had crashed two times and gloves save my palm.

4 Likes

I’ve crashed a lot, but 0 times in races. I tend to do a lot less dumb stuff when racing.

Gloves always. I need my hands to do things.

4 Likes

what about a glove for the rest of your body?

I’d buy it if it existed. Hip, elbow/forearm and knee side-pads that aren’t needlessly bulky would be cool.

But also, I’ve had road rash on non-hand places. It doesn’t get in the way much.

2 Likes

Immediately switched to riding with gloves after an unexpected washout on a road just before a construction site.
I hate the problems you get in handling stuff with road rash on the palms. Since then not crashed very often but almost every time gloves saved the palms. Seems to be coming from washing out the front in corners, where one can’t pull the hands in fast enough. Different if you’re in a pile up, where one could expect some kind of “alaphilippe-flip”, which never happens to me :person_shrugging: so I wouldn’t know how to do it

1 Like

Maybe not far away in the era of 3D printing of padding?

1 Like

No gloves during the summer on the road. Wear them for off road rides as there’s always things like brambles wanting to take a chunk out of my hands.

Gloves in the winter when the temperature drops, no one needs frostbite!

Also gloves when racing, over here you have to wear them on the track.

3 Likes

No gloves except for warmth. If you need to save your hands in a crash you might be falling wrong. Or I am lucky :person_tipping_hand:

Came down in a bunch ride when the rider in front overlapped wheels. I had nowhere to go and when over the bars onto gloveless hands at 50kph. Broke the left scaphoid and right first metacarpal with a displaced fracture and dislocation. 3 surgeries and a permanent impairment of the right hand, but fortunately 80% functional. Hand surgeon felt that gloves or mitts wouldn’t have prevented the fractures, but I’m going to wear them in future. My poor elbows have been trough the mill as well.

2 Likes

My job (like many) is computer stuff so I use a mouse and keyboard all day and having had offs where I’ve shredded my palms I would say I always wear gloves for any sort of MTB ride, most road spins I’ll have gloves too.

I’m just not good enough to crash gracefully not to slide palms down!

Although in the summer the 10 minute commute is lovely without gloves, so all gloves (bar warm ones) are pretty thin to get good feel for the bike.

3 Likes