Heart rate monitor chest strap

A question for you experts out there. I use a garmin edge 520 and the hrm that came with the 520 unit. Its the soft strap version where the module un clips off . Lately i have been getting erratic readings sometimes the reading disappears altogether. My question is how do determine if the chest strap is playing up or if its the module thats the culprit ? Also if its the chest strap do i need to replace it with another garmin brand strap or would a strap from other brands work also ?

My HRM-Tri had the same issues before it stopped working. It started with way too high HR measurements and then the strap became more and more difficult to turn on. I had to remove the battery before each ride in order to reset it. Judging by posts in the Garmin forums it appears to be a common problem, potentially caused by moisture. Some people have tried replacing the O-ring around the battery.

Are you still running the original battery? That’s where I would start.

If you need a new strap, any ANT+ compatible sensor should work.

Here is a good article on your issue:

1 Like

Thanks Andreas yes the battery is the first thing i tried . Good to know that other brand straps work :ok_hand:

Awesome stuff. After reading your link I’m 99% sure the strap is the culprit. Good to know of all the other brands i can use too. Thanks for your help mate :+1::+1:

1 Like

I have had steady results after switching to a Polar strap to go with my Garmin Dual HRM. I also use a little aloe vera gel on the back of the strap before a ride to get good contact through the skin, a suggestion from my PT. The Garmin isn’t perfect—I’m about to get my third one under warranty, for different issues—but Garmin keeps taking care of me warranty wise so I am content.

2 Likes

Thanks for your insight Joe , after reading into it more it turns out many people recommend the polar strap.:ok_hand:

1 Like

I find the Wahoo Tickr-X is pretty good as has Bluetooth & ANT+ (think Polar is the same). The new Tickr-X can connect to up to 3 Bluetooth devices… good if you use Zwift, Sufferfest etc. I often have issues with my single channel Bluetooth connecting to my phone, when I want it to connect to my laptop to start a workout (& have to turn my Bluetooth off on my phone). This triple channel Bluetooth may or may-not be helpful for you, but could be important if you do lots of trainer work.

2 Likes

I have a Wahoo Tickr, and as of late, I’m finding it to be perfectly accurate outdoors, and throughout my indoor workouts UNTIL I start cooling down, as which point the readings stop updating, until they drop very suddenly, and continue dropping at discrete intervals. I’m still quite sweaty, so I’m not sure the cause. It’s like it can’t keep up when my heart rate starts falling.

1 Like

I’ve had issues with 2 TickrX 2 straps in the last few months, although kudos to Wahoo, they replaced both for free. I’ve also had issues with the Garmin soft straps over the years, and came to the conclusion that the basic Garmin hrm, which is largely plasticised, the most reliable. However, having reread the DCR article linked to above, I ended up looking at these on Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MCXCJTW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_581K5HEW675428WJGNJT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 . Given the price I might give them a go next time I have Garmin soft strap problems.

I have had dropout problems with the new Tickr. Wahoo replaced it and I had the same problem- random dropouts over BlueTooth during rides. Ant+ seems ok. So, it works on outdoor rides but not so well on indoor rides where I use BT. I have the Garmin HRM-Dual which has been completely reliable. Hoerver, when the battery finally died changing it was a pain since you need to remove four tiny screws. I have settled on the Polar H10 which has been completely reliable, has 2 BT connections, and an easy to change battery.

Similar experience to yours. Gave up on Wahoo Tickr after getting my original replaced and suffering same problems with the replacement. Now with the Polar H10 and very happy so far. The strap on the Polar has a lot more of the rubber ‘gripper’ material and seems to sit much better against the body. I’ve probably cursed it now……

2 Likes

Those really tiny and fragile screws on Garmin HRMs really are a PITA indeed …

1 Like