How do you carry food on road rides?

Thanks, my point was primarily centered on the refusal to accept a tractable, popular and sensible solution, not in simply finding “a solution”.

1 Like

How do you wat gummi bears in winter gkoves without losing half of them? No matter how you pack them?

2 Likes

My gloved method:

I pre-place my gummies in a resealable bag I keep on my bike.

Retrieve gummy bag (GB) from bar bag (BB)

Insert one flap of sealed portion of GB in mouth & bite. I use the space created to pull the other side.

Remove GB from mouth & pour some of contents into hand then shovel into gullet.

Use mouth to hold corner of GB to seal by sliding gloved hand down seal.

Place back into BB.

(YMMV)

2 Likes

bags are not stooping, just sensible and convenient. Don’t feel obliged to look like or do what your riding colleagues do. Otherwise you will be just like them :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Actually, it seems to me (in Minneapolis, US) that handlebar bags are coming into fashion with some roadies. Not just gravel cyclists. And not all roadies, true, but as observed elsewhere, handlebar bags can be attached or detached quickly.

1 Like

Ha, you all must really like the gummy bears (!)

2 Likes

I will add my solution for dried fruit to the discussion. It is the third improved version. The most important is the 2in1 foil with baking paper. Normal aluminum foil tears easily and is not very edible :slight_smile: I wrap the fruit and tape the bottom part and then halfway through. I can open and close the top part with my mouth and the fruit won’t fall out in the pocket. It’s an extra minute at home, but it’s 100% worth the time during the ride. No more sticky fingers or glove issues.

7 Likes

A comment that will probably not provide a solution for the OP, but may be useful for others: a hip-pack.

4 Likes

Assuming your bicycle has a back or front rack, lashing a solid box or box to it will most likely assistance with conveying food. Remember that this won’t work for a wide range of food, however food varieties enclosed by plastic could definitely work. You can protect it to the rack with ropes, zip ties, or bungee strings.

1 Like

Sandwich are easily wrapped in aluminium and stored in jersey pocket.

One note about handlebar bags. They don’t have to be those huge things you see on “adventure bikes” in bikepacking.com and the radavist. I nearly always use a small handlebar pouch, albeit for other reason: camera. It saves a bit of room on my jersey yet it is small and light enough to be discrete and do not affect the handling of the bike.

You can judge by the photos below:

Last option for the gummi bears/dried fruits and probably easiest to clean after the ride is to use a “storage bottle” which you can use as a sweet jar. Only works if you have a free water bottle cage which may not fit into the endurance rides category. But you might want to store it on a jersey pocket if you are really that much fan of them.

2 Likes

My difficulty was fumbling with food packaging while rolling at speed at the back of a pack. (Totally fair comment to point out I’m not a terribly skilled bike handler.)

Zip-loc bags got rid of the packaging, but weren’t great at staying open and in place. I have a boring day job; so I decided it’d try to come with a food-grade silicone jersey pocket liner with a internal spring shim opening that makes my ride snacks easy to grab. You can see how it works at 1-min video

My wife and I just started this out of our garage as a learning experience. (For example, we’ve learned we suck at marketing.) This idea was long before bar bags and gravel scene, so I totally understand the above comments about those now being great options too. Happy to hear from anyone and everyone, support, criticism, whatever.

10 Likes

If you refuse to use products that solve your issue then why not just keep the food in your jersey pocket?

If opening a bag is an issue just put the gummies in a bag and keep it open then roll it up so they don’t fall out.

Gummies in the winter sounds like a broken tooth to me.

1 Like

Looks neat! And is possibly the exact sort of thing the OP was looking for.

1 Like

Guilty.

plus one for a slim top tube bag. I keep my phone in there also for easy access and safety.

But since this is not an option for aesthetic / other reasons, how about Cargo bib shorts ?

You could spread out some gummies / whatever in there and keep your frame free and you have two more easy access pockets - easier than jersey pockets imo. I have two pairs of Rapha ones which are superb and ordered some Castelli ones two ( Unlimited )
They shouldn’t sticky / mushy there and even if there is a bit of residue, you’re more than likely gonna be washing your bibshorts anyway when finished…I presume

4 Likes

You need a MasterCard or a VISA. They take up next to no room in your pockets and help you to lighten your wallet when you stop to buy food and coffee.

Do not stoop. It’s the thin edge of the wedge. You’ll end up riding a Harley with ‘saddle bags’ and a leather jacket with ‘masculine’ tassels on the sleeves if you begin to stoop.

Never stoop.

Never stoop.

9 Likes

I’m gonna give them a try now, postie just dropped a pair off. Reckon it’ll be perfect for adventure days out.

Cargo pocket bibs. I stuff mine full of Haribos (in packet but open) on long haul adventures

1 Like

Wow! Just what the OP was looking for! Nice work! I like the idea of using bulk sized snacks in small pouches.

1 Like

I’m not sure the OP cares much really, as he hasn’t participated in the thread for the last week or so, but for those who are looking for what those bar bags might look like, and why they make sense–here’s my set up for the long rides (anything over 80 kms?)–not the overnight set up, just the long day.

Bag “A” actually has a lot of space, and in it I usually put a bagel, fruit, etc.–essentially my main food for the day. Bag “B” is the emergency repair kit, with a couple of tubes, patch kit, cell phone, multi-tool and so forth. Bag “C” could hold those little treats so easily, and be so accessible…I don’t, however need or want such treats, so I keep a small camera, a mask, some money, etc. Those go on every long ride. If the weather is variable, with the possibility of rain, then I bring along bag “D”, which contains a rain coat and rain pants set. And if it looks like bad rain will be in store, I add a rear fender extension, with a quick release on the seat post (not pictured).

I strongly recommend bag “C” for the goodies, if necessary. (And yes, that is a triple Campy crankset for the eagle-eyed amongst us–it is, after all, my basic touring bike, and here in Japan, while the mountains might not be so tall, they are both plentiful, and steep.)

1 Like