How Everesting grew into a global phenomenon: Ask me anything!

A chapter from a new book about Everesting has just been published on CyclingTips about the growth of the challenge.

Please feel free to ask me any questions you might have about Everesting - I’d love to give some additional insight into the challenge.

Ask me anything!

Has anyone ever mentioned Mariana-ing… accumulating at least 10,994m of descending?

4 Likes

I just can’t decide if Everesting falls into Tipe 2 Fun (not funny while doing it, enjoyable later for the achievement you gained) or Type 3 Fun (citing Max Porter’s Outpost - the fun lies in the fact you survived). I’m pretty convinced it’s not fun when you do it though: I see grimaces in lieu of smiles

1 Like

They have @kingben. Last year after covering a bunch of Everesting, GCN did a fun little pisstake called ‘Trenching’, which then gained a little bit of traction: Climbing Over 11,000m In One Epic Ride | GCN Goes Trenching - YouTube (I mean if you are going for 10,000m anyway you may as well push on a bit!)

2 Likes

Whilst there are definitely people who say it falls into type 3, the vast majority of reactions I receive is that it is type 2 - and they are often then inspired to either go for more very, tackle a different type of terrain, or take on a completely different challenge altogether.

I think the concerning thing is any sickos who claim it’s type 1 (fun at the time, and in retrospect). That said I think on one of the 10,000m HRS rides I took on I’d class that as type 1 - but I was really lucky to be in peak fitness and had everything go right that day.

1 Like

The Compact crankset is probably the single most important contributor to the explosion of interest in cycling over the last decade or more.

I don’t think that Everesting would be a ‘thing’ without the Compact.

7 Likes

Who is the youngest known Everester? And the oldest?

2 Likes

I’m prepared to die on this hill (my cleverness knows no bounds);

Only outdoor rides should count. (Same with Festive 500’s).

Signed,

Fat Guy Who’ll Never Complete Either

Great article by the way!

5 Likes

@eleri the youngest has (possibly - awaiting verification) just been set this weekend. It ‘looks’ like it is a 9 year old kid from Japan who completed this with his dad. The oldest indoors is 80, and outside is 75.

2 Likes

Interesting take @neiloconnorone. I’ve definitely heard plenty of times that it wouldn’t have grown without social media and Strava, but that’s the first time I’ve heard this theory - and I reckon you are definitely onto something - at least for a good chunk of riders.

I know for one Everesting I did on a steep suburban hill I was running a compact and a 32. I didn’t touch the 32 for the first 4,000m, and I don’t think I came out of it for the second 4,000!

1 Like

@Anthony_Tate I struggled with this for so long. Like a really long time, and then felt like if it was going to happen anyway we may as well own it, and make it as tough as possible. I certainly have never watched any Netflix on an outdoor Everesting, and there are additional comforts (i.e. being able to change kit every 1,000m, having food on tap, being able to grab a shower) but then there are a couple of things that (in my mind) make some components of it harder. Being locked into the same position is a killer (although I negated that slightly by building a rocker plate for one indoor attempt).

I’ve DEFINITELY suffered more on some of my outdoor Everestings, but interestingly the vEverestings I’ve done would not have been the easiest.

I hear you on the Festive 500. I know for the first Rapha Rising challenge I did it was deep winter, and I rode through sleet to get the final vert. I would have been a bit miffed if indoor was an option back then.

Let me leave you with a final thought. At Hells 500 I like to use the mantra “Don’t worry about whether someone else has done it easier - think about how you can make your own effort harder”

4 Likes

9! That’s amazing.

2 Likes

I think it could clearly have been done in the days of the triple. If Cateye had released a version of the Vectra or Mity with an altimeter in the 90s, people could have been Everesting with touring gears, MTB cranks etc.

5 Likes

Border stupid to make such an effeort at such a young age no ?

This is the difference between cycling and gym and should be written in capital golden letters on top of every mountain pass.

3 Likes

I remember a new guy showing up at a club spin around 2008. We were all amazed to see him spinning up a hill in the big ring thinking who’s this new guy, he must be as strong as an Ox.

It had to be explained to us that the chain set had a 34-50. We never knew such a thing existed and thought that it would be impossible to race on…. How wrong we were.

I have never Everested but a friend who did said he’d recommend a sub-compact if he were asked by anyone else what they should use.

1 Like

I love it that a 9 year old has the focus and endurance to do it. I guess maybe they’re power to weight ratio is pretty good if they are small. Nice that he did it with his dad.

1 Like

Haha! That’s also been yelled on me from a car while I’m riding “Hey! This isn’t your gym!” which was particularly funny that day since I was actually riding to work.

2 Likes

Is there a popular choice of gradient and distance for everesting ? Does steeper mean more elevation per time , or do you then ride slower ? Do short climbs waste time on the turnarounds? And is a long descent of benefit?

Well the world record is on a stretch of road barely a km long, dead straight, and brutally steep, so yeah, if you want to get it done quick that appears to be the way to go about it; no corners on the descent, steep climb = maximizing vertical gain per horizontal miles.