How Everesting grew into a global phenomenon: Ask me anything!

The sweet spot seems to be between 200-250km total distance (of which half is downhill of course) which puts the average gradient somewhere around the 7-10% mark.

I’ve done a few myself now, and personally I find the shorter and steeper ones better (assuming you can spin up them ok). The fact that there is a pretty constant recovery every few minutes, and that recovery doesn’t allow you time to cool down seems to work well. When I did my first at Buller the descent is probably 20 or 30 mins, and it would always take a kilometre or so to warm up again.

London-based Chris Hall did it on Box Hill in Surrey in November 2020. 450km with 91 ascents and descents to hit 11,870m in 25 hours:

Jac Lewis spent Easter weekend riding a triple Everest (the first in the UK, I think) on an access road to the Marchlyn Mawr reservoir above Llanberis in Snowdonia. 39 hours, 101 reps and 26,861m of ascent and descent so I guess a ride like that would qualify too.

Summary

This text will be hidden

2 Likes

Absolutely!

@Andy_van_Bergen how many have you successfully completed or attempted. What is your most memorable successful completion and attempt?

1 Like

Let’s start with the failures!

• I pulled out on a steep climb in Sri Lanka (at about 5000m)
  • My attempt at Everesting Mt Everest wasn’t successful either
  • I pulled out of a 10k Everesting Roam attempt at 6,500m and 320km
  • I stopped a vEveresting attempt (just wasn’t feeling it that day)

Of my successful ones I’ve done:

• 5x outdoor Everestings (3 on a MTB, 1 on singletrack, 1 with more than 10,000m climbing)
  • 4x vEverestings
  • 2x Everesting Basecamps
  • 1x Everesting Roam (10,000m)

I really enjoyed the singletrack Everesting. It rained lightly the entire ride, and I wasn’t just spattered with mud, I just had a complete sheen all over. Those failed attempts were all really amazing, and I’d count them as amongst the most enjoyable I’ve ever done. Interestingly the one that felt the best was a 10,000m attempt on a steep suburban street with 220 reps.

It goes without saying that being at Everest for an attempt was not only a highlight of this challenge, but also a life highlight!

How many fraudulent applications do you receive? There must be some :rofl:

2 Likes

Thankfully not too many intentionally fraudulent ones - after all you don’t really ‘win’ anything - but that said there are plenty that I knock back each week. At a guess I’d say somewhere around 5%? The majority of the time it’s just a misunderstanding about what constitutes an Everesting (and a lot of these rides getting knocked back are stunning rides in their own right - just not Everestings). A small percentage are due to dodgy data - but interestingly that seems to be happening less. I’m not sure if that’s generally better mapping in Strava, or better computers, or a combo of both.

I hear about the odd vEveresting that has been tweaked slightly - i.e. by entering a lower rider weight, or by dropping the trainer difficulty. That’s unfortunate, because our mantra is about making it harder if possible - but then I figure these people are only cheating themselves.

interesting. I understand (believe) the rule is 100% trainer difficulty to simulate real-world experience, but I don’t understand why someone would choose to lower it. I can’t see that it makes the ride easier for them.

1 Like

Yeah, there has been plenty of debate about this. In theory all it is technically doing is shifting the gear range you use during the attempt to the bigger end of the cassette, but in reality it definitely makes it harder as there are less bailout gears (and no-one really goes to the hassle of really changing their setup).

1 Like

that makes sense. it’s good to have consistent rules for all attempts too

1 Like

I was intentionally avoiding the word failure cos I knew some of the attempts were in bucket list locations

1 Like

I think I’ve come to accept failures as a great learning experience, rather than beating myself up about it too bad. That said, it wasn’t until @mdeneef really forced me to dig into my experience and write about it at more than a superficial level that I finally started to accept not being successful on Everest itself. I went in fitter than ever, with more research and knowledge than I had done before, and I was prepared to bleed out of my eyeballs to complete it (note: almost happened!). It wasn’t until I got the story out a few weeks later that I was able to come to terms with it.

1 Like

Why only one hill in one direction to count “officially” for completion. I understand for world record standards, but why not allow variety for everybody else?

1 Like

It’s a good question @Pleb_Cyclist, and the answer has its origins in the romance of mountaineering ‘firsts’ where the original idea came from. The original launch of Everesting required riders to be the first on a hill - or their attempt would not count. The thought was that it would create a race to conquer the major peaks in each region (back when 100 successful attempts seemed impossible). Because of this, repeats of the same climb would be required, so that - similar to Everest itself - it would allow more than one person to claim a ‘first’ (in the example of Everest there are now 17 recognised ‘first’ routes).

Of course it only took a short amount of time to realise that this rule was extremely limiting, particularly if you lived in an area without a lot of choice!

From a practical standpoint, adjudicating reps of a single climb is easy. Once you know the elevation gain of a hill then we just need to see evidence of xx reps, whereas once multiple hills are involved that becomes really difficult.

There is a version of Everesting which allows multiple hills (and even a sleep) called Everesting Roam (36 hours elapsed time, sleep allowed, 400km minimum, 10,000m minimum). It’s pretty fun in the planning, and a great challenge!

In my opinion it is not only the bailout gears.
If you lower the difficulty to let’s say 50% a change in grade from e.g. 6% to 12% is also cut in half and the difference on your trainer is only 3%. Therefore, every climb becomes more uniform and is smoother to ride. You would need less shifting compared to reality.

1 Like

You are probably correct - all I know is that the closest way to simulate the real thing in my experience is to ramp things up and make them as tough as possible!

1 Like

It’s cool I agree 100%.

But I genuinely questioned (the tone wasn’t right I think) if such an effort isn’t too much at such a young age. Can a child body correctly withstand the load of such an achievement.

1 Like