How many bikes do you own?

20 years ago I was riding a Prince on tubulars running Dura Ace 7700 and a 130mm stem. Nothing about that would feel as good today as it did 20 years ago.

It was a great bike, for 20 years ago and for the rider I was 20 years ago… it is neither a great nor nor a great bike for the rider I am today.

No, you didn’t “simply” express any degree of confusion… you made comical presumptions about the ecological impact of a recreational activity that centers around outsourced production and global shipping of every component in an absurd attempt to play green savior and attack my preference as wasteful… and now you’re pretending that it isn’t more difficult to get outdated equipment.

Find me the shop that’s selling 7000 or 8000 series Dura Ace, Red 10, etc. I’ll wait.

Bikes are being built and shipped and my purchasing a new bike every two years isn’t driving that. I’m not tossing bikes in the dumpster every two years increasing waste. So, unless you sold your car to buy a locally built commuter bike made from locally sourced steel, using locally made tires and components and ride purely as a transportation method, then you have no room to talk about the environmental aspects of my preference. Likewise, pretending I’ve ever said it costs less to keep a bike 20 years than to buy new every few years it’s just a strawman argument. If cost is your primary focus, by all means keep your bike until it dies. But, as I said, my focus is to be riding and enjoying the ride. That means I’m willing to spend the money to ride new bikes and it means I’d rather be able to pull a replacement part of the shelf or open a catalog and order a part when I need it as opposed to searching the internet in the hope of finding one of an every dwindling reserve of available spares for retried product lines.

1 Like

A 20 year old Pinarello Prince wouldn’t serve as a good bike today? I think it would be a great bike. Perhaps not with 38/53 chainrings of the 7700 group while riding up mountains but a modern drivetrain would solve that issue. Changing the position on bikes isn’t too difficult.

An upgraded Cannondale CAAD 4 from 20 years ago would also be an awesome bike today.

I remember the road bike I owned 20 years ago (1994 Specialized Allez lugged steel). I’d love to have that bike again in the correct size. They don’t make that kind of bike anymore unless I went fully custom.

That’s the point… I don’t want to have to hunt for parts, hoping I’m getting the right part and not something misrepresented on ebay and pay more for 10 year old tech than new tech or have to stock up on every component. The last time I bought a Red 10 rear D, for someone else’s bike, it was nearly twice what I would pay to replace a mechanical 9100 DA rear D, it was advertised as new but looked closer to lightly used and well cleaned. The rider was happy and only without his bike for ten days or so but that’s a situation I’d prefer to avoid.

Again, as I’ve said previously, there’s no right answer though and it is about having fun as you’ve said. So if you wanna ride a bike for 2 years or 5 or 15, have at it and enjoy the ride.

No, it wouldn’t… not for me and not objectively. I like disc brakes, I ride 28-30mm tires, and I have zero desire to ever glue another tub. 130mm stem would break me today and I think 12mm thru-axles are one of the best things to happen to bikes in a long time.

But I sincerely hope that is still out there rolling along somewhere under a rider who does think it’s a great bike… which is exactly why I sold it, and the same holds true for every bike since then. And that is exactly my point.

This thread is no longer about how many bikes anyone owns. There are plenty of online venues for spats and pointless back and forth. Hopefully this doesn’t become commonplace here.

To attempt to add to the conversation…I think I’m at 25 or so. I also have a few restorations in process, an early Medici, a ‘91 Merckx I look forward to sharing here eventually. The history and hand work of 70s/80s steel frames really set them apart. The bikes I have are a celebration of mostly one-man shops and of a time when racers had bikes made for themselves. I have a modern-ish steel bike, but for my group rides I can pedal just about anything in the stable.

7 Likes

@James_Huang do you still ride park??
Asking as an even older bloke who’s WAY past doing that stuff, but I may have the wrong idea about “park”.
:wink:

Hmmm. I’ll have to write them down so I can count them. (That’s more about old age rather than wasteful consumption)

• Spark RC XC MTB - The one I usually choose if we’re going MTBing.
  • Stumpy EVO. I guess this is my park bike. The MTB I take if the trails are going to scare me.
  • Homemade recumbent. - Everyone needs to try a recumbent. So fast on the flat.
  • Track bike. Lives at the track and rarely gets ridden due to so many other things to do. I wish I’d been able to borrow a track bike to try, but I couldnt find one at the time.
  • Addict CX. - the other bike I ride most of the time. Anything from bunch rides to touring with panniers. I think its done one cx race. I’ve pretty much given up racing.
  • Addict RC. My roadie race bike. OMG it’s SO nice to ride. So effortless, whether that’s riding up long mountains or racing old blokes crits. I love that bike.
    I think that’s all. Every bike is different and I love riding them all, except the trackie. I suck at track.
1 Like

I definitely do! I maybe take a more methodical approach to it than I might have when I was younger, though, instead of just carelessly sending it like the kids these days.

My wife actually spent a lot of time this year in jump parks, too.

It’s sooooooooo much fun!

2 Likes

I’m down to 3 (and my original Chance steel frame with campag is for sale thank god), a road race bike and a 6 year old SLX 12 speed equipped HT MTB. Back when I was in my mid 20s I lucked into a job in the medical sales world and all of a sudden was making more than I could imagine and still living in a cheap apartment with a paid off car and cheap tastes. I think I had 10-15 mid tier bikes sitting in my living room at one point.

Realized that I just like riding on the road, hardest one to get rid of was the TT bike but it’s kind of stupid to have 5-6 grand sitting in a bike that you only get to use once or twice a year, used the cash for a watch that has doubled in value.

Oddly enough I never bought a big baller Dura Ace bike back then even though I could afford it and had no real financial responsibilities I think I mentally struggled (and still do) with paying for Ultegra :smiley:

2 Likes

A TT bike is the one type of bike I’ve always wanted to buy but have never been able to justify.

3 Likes

The other problem with a TT bike is that if you’re a Cat 3 or even a 4 and do TTs you’re almost guaranteed to have a few absolute TT monsters or pro triathletes that don’t road race enough to cat up and average like 30mph in a 40k. I switched to Merckx and enjoy it a lot more, there are still guys that crack 55 minutes in the Merckx but at least they don’t get paid to ride a bike.

1 Like

Wow. Go you! :slight_smile:
I’m jealous.
I’m a hazard to myself when my wheels aren’t on the ground. Mostly ‘cos I didnt ride MTBs until I was in my 40s (2004).
I do ride “park” but jumps scare me because I dont trust myself not to float / pull the bike up sideways - where it stays until we hit the ground.

Main ride: 2015 Focus Izalco Max w/- Campy Record 11v
Occasional ride: circa 1998 Eddy Merckx Ti Ax w/- Campy Chorus 11v
Indoor trainer: Scott Addict R3 w/- Campy Record 10v
Mtb: 1991 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp w/- Deore XT

2 Likes

I have 3 bikes:

2009 Lerun Solaris: It’s a hardtail aluminium MTB with 7 speed Tourney that I got for my 12th birthday for less than 150USD. It’s the bike that got me into cycling. It weighs a ton, the front suspension is sticky, the bottom bracket is creaky and it clearly needs a good clean. It’s mainly used as a commuter bike now, and I’m grateful it hasn’t just fallen apart every time I swing a leg over it.

2012 Specialized Tarmac SL2: This is my first road bike. I did my first race on it, crashed it, and crashed it again. The Tiagra brakes are mildly terrifying and the box-section-15mm-internal-width Mavic wheels with true 23mm tires are bone rattling on anything but smooth tarmac. But ohhh, does it handle like a dream on a long, twisty descent. I left it at home when I left town to study overseas, thinking I could have a bike waiting for we when I return for short visits. Then Covid happened, and everything went into lockdown and I haven’t ridden it in 2 years. Waiting for the borders to open so that I can take it for a spin again.

2016 Scott Addict: My main bike, race bike, training bike, TT bike, wife, whatever you want to call it. This bike has done quite a bit of mileage, and I have actually had some success on it in some (le gasp!) triathlons I’ve done with clip-on aero bars. Quite a lot of it’s original parts have been replaced over time due to wear and personal preference. Makes me wonder if it’s actually a whole different bike (Theseus’ ship argument, anyone?). But if anything, I suppose it gives it what some people call “soul”, even if it’s just another boring black bike to others.

2 Likes

I can fit those 28-30mm on my 2006 rim brake TI bike, never rode it with anything less than 25mm anyway.

I can still get Campy 10-speed parts (did upgrade to Campy 11 in 2015 bu the 10 speed stuff is still in use on different bikes). I can stil get bearings, cones etc for the Campy hubs and they will accept anything from a 8-speed to 13-speed cassette.

Cool story, thanks for sharing. :+1:

I have the following:

1. 2010 Colnago Master X-Light with Campagnolo Potenza 11 speed (silver) on 10 speed Chorus cranks. Survived being sideswiped by a truck, only shifters and RD damaged.

2. F Moser running as a single speed. No idea of how old it is, rescued from being thrown away.

3. Marin Nicasio 2. Not ridden yet, still struggling with some injuries after a run in with a truck.

4. MTB hardtail, 9 speed. Sintessi frame, do not know much about that brand and not ridden much at the moment.

The Missus:

1. Colnago E1, Campagnolo Chorus 10 speed.
1 Like

From most to least ridden:

Stelbel XCR. For rides when I’m a little bit faster than the other people or it’s nasty weather or rough roads. Campagnolo record 12, rim brakes and Boras because this is an analogue bike not an electronic device.

Venge S-works with Rapides. Because I wanted to see if a full aero bike makes you faster and see what disc brakes were all about. It does go faster, but not by a huge amount. Disc brakes questionable. An appliance.

Yeti SB115. Nice XT build. Because I wanted a Yeti since 1990. Despite having no clue about MTB it’s fun and I’m learning about tyres and shock tuning. Probably should have bought a pure XC race bike, but the Yeti simply looks gorgeous (in anthracite). Kudos to whoever did the 3d modeling.

Cervelo P5. Tri bike. Used for IM and small number of constant power training rides. Very fast for given power, but antisocial as people on road bikes get dropped downhill. Still upgrading it to get full aero optimizations, more coming this winter. Horrible to set up, and a bit noodly, but good for steady pedaling.

Parlee Z5SL with DA mechanical. Currently covered in reflective tape and mudguards as night/rain bike. Not ridden much since it wasn’t my best bike because riding in rain sucks. Parts also available from past weightweenie days to build sub 6kg climbing bike. (Tempting)

Colnago C40 in Rabobank orange with 10 speed Record. Still nice to ride, similar to the Stelbel but front end less precise on fast descents. 39x25 bottom gear up 10% hill to my house not fun. Owned since new as present to self after first year of work and will soon be worth what I paid for it.

Klein Pulse Race. Older than the Colnago. Horrible to ride in comparison with a modern mtb which explains why it’s only on its second set of tyres. Should sell it.

Trek tandem. Riding a motorbike while driving a truck. 106kph max downhill. Rim brakes, but you may be surprised to know that it stops faster than a single bike as you can pull the front brake as hard as your hand allows. But needs some repairs to go again.

Normally I buy a new bike every 2-4 years, only when there’s a materially better bike available. Based on experience I do not compromise on spec as I get annoyed if I really wanted something else. I just try to be patient and negotiate or buy when it’s on sale with a large discount. No idea what’s next, maybe an Open, a Scott or Cervelo gravel bike, but no plans currently as plenty to do on the P5.

3 Likes

Transition Spire- Aluminum frame I built myself for racing enduro.
Transition Throttle- hardtail, also built up from frame
Kona Rove LTD- Rodeo adventure labs spork, gravel and road wheelsets
Scott yz Dirt Jump bike
Veloce Aluminum fixie

Also selling my old Transition Patrol but still have it. And my wife has a specialized e town bike I ride