How many water bottles do you have, and why?

It seems that many of us have quite a collection of water bottles in our possession, despite the fact that we can only ever use a few of them at a time (and are regularly doing dishes), which has made me curious: exactly how many bottles do you have, and why so many??

Uh, many? Lots? 6 I regularly use, though, two 950ml Elite bottles for longer endurance events, two 550ml for normal rides on one bike and two 550ml on another bike (because you have to match bottle colour with bike colour, of course).

The rest have simply accumulated over time - free bottles from races, odd bottle I bough with the intention of tossing them away, bottle which used to be part of a pair but I lost the other one and the idea of mismatched bottles bugs me, and so on and so forth. Plus wife’s bottles which get mixed in… lots. I should periodically toss them, although they can be handy when taking kids for a walk or to the beach. My youngest has never had a normal water bottle for toddlers, only cycling bidons, haha.

Total amount of cycling bottles in the household is probably around 20.

2 Likes

The Bivo review last year just about coincided with our puppy eating the two CamelBak Podium bottles I’d had for years (with many replacement tops). The missus thought I was nuts for spending that kind of money on water bottles, but now I have two of those and they’re thusfar uneaten.

3 Likes

Ha ha, that’s a benefit I didn’t think about when I wrote that review!

1 Like

13 in total, 6x950 elites that were once in heavy rotation in hot weather, 2 with dust covers for gravel riding and the rest collected at various rides/fondos. I also have several retired bottles that I use for collecting chain cleaning solvents to let the gunk settle out for reuse.

2 Likes
  1. more than I need
  2. because they are cheap, easy to pick up and almost always get used at some point.
2 Likes

I like colors and can always be tempted to throw one in my shopping cart to bump my total price to where it qualifies for free shipping (socks are good this way too).
Functionally I use the smallest bottles that will get me through a ride, because the bigger ones are just harder to handle. And in summer in the desert Southwest, I use insulated bottles packed with ice to keep my core temperature down, but they don’t hold as much for their size so for long rides I carry at least one big standard bottle.
Another variable is cage fit: on bad roads some bottles fit tighter (Camelbak) but I’d fit isn’t critical I’d rather have one that’s easier to slip in and out since I have dropped a few that way.
Lastly I have switched to Specialized Purist mostly for the non-plastic liner on the off chance that they really will expose my body to fewer chemicals.

3 Likes

Oh and the number is a mere ten: lots more room in that cabinet to expand!

2 Likes

3 purist specialized bottles. Most I tend to carry even on a fully loaded gravel bike (2 on the road).

I got rid of all my other ones because they make my water taste like plastic and I have tried to limit how much plastic I have and definitely how much I drink out of (the 5 nM silicone liner makes a huge difference - but yes the cap has plastic on it…).

No others in my possession at the moment. I’ll use these until they get really gross inside and then replace them - but will wait as long as I can before doing that. I use a bottle brush/soapy water every other ride (and every time I have sugary stuff in there) to keep them from getting moldy.

1 Like

I have 3 sets. 2 x Camelbak Podium (1st gen), 2 x Camelbak Podium (latest gen) and 2 x The common Specialized bottes with the black pop-up valve.

Camelbak’s do not leak, especially when squeezed or otherwise thrown into a backpack. The Specialized bottles leak from the top and/or the valves.

The Specialized bottles are backup’s or used on hot or casual rides where leaking just water is not an issue. They fit in all bottle cages.

I have a few bikes which all have different bottle cages. The 1st gen Camelbak Podiums will not fit in some cages, so I purchased the 3/4th generation version to fit my smaller cages, but now I realize they fit a little loose in the cages that do not fit the 1st gen bottles. It’s really annoying. Why can’t Camelback make bottles the same diameter as the Specialized bottles? Is there a patent on that diameter or something?

1 Like

I’ve got two. I used to have three until recently, because I got one for free with an online order, but then one broke. For forty years now, I never owned more than three bottles at the same time, but then I don’t fill them with anything else but water. I also don’t stress them by cleaning them more than necessary, usually just superficially scan them for obvious bio hazards.

1 Like

11 total- 6 Camelback Podium that I bought I sale. I regularly use 2. When they get gross I’ll toss them and use the next 2. 2 Keego flexible Titanium bottles (recommended by Abby). I don’t use them because they are cool and I don’t want to wreck them. And 3 assorted free bottles from events.

1 Like

About a dozen?

Some are mementos (West Maui cycles from when I did Haleakala, a couple from some Centuries I did), a few are the kids’ bottles. You can never have too many spares, and yes there’s always at least 2 or 3 in each dishwasher load.

1 Like

Eight 500-600 ml bottles (Elite and Specialized) for my three bikes, and one yellow Mavic one that I use in non-bike related contexts. I even shove it somewhere in the background of my Skype meetings, its logo to be seen clearly.

1 Like

Maybe eighteen? But what I wish I still had are the Italian bottles from the 80s. I forget the manufacturer, but they were the European racers’ bottles. They had a smaller fill and squirt opening that allowed you to be precise with how much liquid you get out. All modern bottles have an uncontrolled high volume squirt and every second or third ride I get one squirt where it’s too much and goes down my airway and I’m hacking and coughing water and teary eyed for the next minute.

1 Like

So, you are saying that you have a drinking problem? :rofl:

5 Likes

I think this is the more important question:

How often do you clean your water bottles?

2 Likes

Every time I use them I rinse them. After a few times they go through the dishwasher.

3 Likes

:grinning::joy:haha!

Too many to count. We do a periodic clean out but my wife is involved with a few different cycling teams and they seem to come in faster than they go out.

2 Likes