Inexpensive Holiday Gift Ideas for Cyclists

So my mother is already asking for Christmas ideas. She likes to buy multiple small gifts and load up under the tree instead of buying one nice thing. Unfortunately, I’m one of those people who tends to just buy things they want unless they’re expensive. Anyone have any good cycling related gift ideas under $50 or so?

I have often been in this situation with family. I end up asking for duplicates of some things. For example I have more than one bike, so I asked for a spare Garmin Varia mount so I can permanently have the mount on both bikes. I also have two of the same saddle bag, one packed for my road bike, the other for my gravel bike.

1 Like

Would you believe I have a Varia mount on my list for exactly this reason? :rofl:

1 Like

Consumables like socks, tubes, a selection box of energy bars/gels, cartridges if you’re a CO2 user. New bar tape, cleats, gloves. New bottles. A cycling-related t-shirt (I got a “Schwinn Sales and Service” t-shirt from Target as a gift once; I wore that shirt like a hipster on a fixie).

3 Likes

Socks are a good, safe choice!

1 Like

I just noticed the $50 price limit; there’s a lot of stuff that can fit under that range. New cassette, new chain, (new cassette AND chain if you’re running 9spd or less) Pearl Izumi make good jerseys under that price.

1 Like

Tubes shouldn’t be consumables. They’re easily fixable…q

2 Likes

How about custom stem caps?

1 Like

50 individually wrapped CO2 cartridges would make for a hilarious gag.

…but one is actually a half-pack of rolos.

2 Likes

A bit over the limit at $60 is an annual Strava subscription, which is something I put on my birthday list every year. My wife likes it as she says I’m so hard to buy for…

Good suggestion and I’m sure this is a good idea for most folks. I don’t use Strava for anything but to be nice and give friends a thumbs up though. I can tell lots of people love it, but I’ve never gotten any value from Strava.

What I always used to love receiving as a gift was a magazine subscription. It’s something I never bought for myself and it would keep giving throughout the year.

Lonely Planet “Epic Ride” series of books is also a really nice gift.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree @wade.wallace ! My MIL always gets me the RBA/MBA combo and it’s great because I think of her when I read them.

I’m still waiting to understand more about what comes with the Outside+ subscription. Not sure if you remember my email, but as a subscriber to multiple magazines (VeloNews, Peloton, and formerly, Outside) and interest in some of the others, I’m trying to figure out if you get full subs to all of them, or just certain curated articles. Also, I just recently renewed my CT membership, so waiting to understand what that means with the merger too.

Good question @kevin_miller (and I do remember your email!). We actually have meetings this week to discuss all of this and what this looks like. This stuff moves lightning quick for us internally, but at a snails pace for someone waiting for these answers.

Sorry I don’t have a good answer now, but in a few months we’ll be able to come back with something concrete and substantial.

2 Likes

Any cycling related casual clothes is a great offer. It’s something that I would never buy (I rarely buy casual clothes nowadays to be honest).

For any commuter, everything from tyres to lights spares as previously mentioned is a great option.

One other subscription you can get is for GCN+ or similar if you are a racing fan. Or a coffee subscription at your local coffee (50$) would be less than a month worth of coffee but…

1 Like