LAID OFF: Caley Fretz, Dave Rome, Matt de Neef and others axed today

Today Caley Fretz, Dave Rome, Matt de Neef and Daniel Benson (Editor-in-Chief of VN) were let go. Plus lots of other staff (including Steve Brawley who has been with CT for years in sales) and others throughout the company. 12% in total.

What a clusterfcuk OutsideInc is. Robin Thurston has gotten his head over his skis and singlehandedly fcuked up dozens of good media publications in just 2 years.

Goodbye CT. It was good while it lasted.

59 Likes

Horrible news, but exactly what many of us saw coming when Outside stepped in. This is what they do. Buy up everything, consolidate and neuter to generate clicks.

Best wishes to all those who lost jobs today, and to those who remain. As has been mentioned before, I think the majority of us would follow you if you start something new. Being let go sucks at any time, especially when you’ve put your heart and soul into the work, but it especially sucks right before the holidays. Thanks for all you gave us!

36 Likes

Sourcing?

4 Likes

Well, being a considered person I’ve stuck around in the last couple of years and kept paying monthly to support CTs. Why? Because, whilst I sometimes moan - the fact is the coverage is good and critically not USA focused. Unfortunately, the time has come to stop paying. So, best to post this message before I cancel my paid subscription :slight_smile: Thanks for everything, and best wishes to Caley, Dave, Matt, and others. I’ll be following you on Twitter (whilst that still exists) and await supporting your next endeavors.

24 Likes

If all of these are indeed true, it’s really sad. From where I sit, it seems as if a person is experienced and senior in the staff, they are at risk of being clipped (this is classic venture capital thinking). Nothing against some of the new staff, but losing the combined experience of Dane (previously), Caley, Dave, and Matt is massive.

Also Daniel Benson, wasn’t he hired less than a year ago to the editor at VN? They lifted him from Cyclingnews, but I bet he had a decent salary as he already had a lot of experience.

My VeloClub annual dues are in July and at this rate it is very unlikely I will be sticking around.

11 Likes

I just cancelled my membership. I want to support CT - but really what I want to support is the people. Without the people, what would I be supporting? I have a few months left before the previous years subscription ends, so they have time to surprise me and get me to re-up. But its not looking good.

20 Likes

im out

5 Likes

Subscription cancelled.
It only just renewed a week ago, so I will reassess in a year, but it doesn’t look promising.

9 Likes

Well, shit!

2 Likes

Be sure to follow what Wade is planning at

38 Likes

This is ridiculous from Outside, just cancelled my subscription. I will sincerely miss what CT once was, and the great journalists and community that made it that way.

13 Likes

Fuck, what is this site and the weekly pods gonna become without Caley and Dave? Thats a huge loss. Outside you fucked up. Hope Caley goes and makes something cool or keeps something going with Dave, love those guys.

17 Likes

What?! Fuck this. Bye bye CT.

Wherever they land, that’s where I’ll be heading.

16 Likes

I just cancelled my subscription to Cyclingtips and Outside. I am done. Let it burn.

11 Likes

CT subscription canceled.

Hey Outside….fuck you.

15 Likes

Well, 43 minutes of clicking around followed by a Google search for ‘how do I cancel a subscription to CyclingTips’ and success! Understandably not an obvious link :slight_smile: I’ll enjoy the site until my monthly subscription ends - in a couple of weeks - and look out for CyclingTips V2 to rise from the ashes. Thoughts to those still employed and awaiting the next round of redundancies :frowning:

5 Likes

Mine cancelled too. Bummer the annual payment just happened. Really sorry for the people as its the writers and personalities that brought me to the site every day.

6 Likes

Adios. Cancelling my sub immediately.

Get fucked, Outside.

9 Likes

Can someone from the USA tell me how to cancel my yearly subscription? I can’t seem to find out how anywhere. Thanks!

Edit: I googled the above statement and went to the little circle in the bottom corner. Went to manage subscription and cancelled. Wow, best cycling publication ruined with the sell-out to Outside online

7 Likes

On a desktop, click on the icon that hovers on the bottom right corner. From there, there’s a menu with subscription options.

2 Likes