Lefevere replacing Declercq with Sénéchal for the Tour?!

Lefevere’s decision to replace Declercq with Sénechal seems more than purposefully antagonistic towards Cavendish–perhaps even bordering on petulant. Makes Caley’s recent article all the more relevant.

Why? Declerque is a domestique. Senechal cannot completely replace the duty but at least slot into a lead out train. Cav not so much.

5 Likes

Excellent point. I guess I was more thinking about this in view of Caley’s recent article, i.e.,

“And therein lies the tactical folly. The prevailing wisdom is that a two-sprinter lineup is a recipe for disaster, but given Jakobsen’s Tour rookie status the presence of the Cavendish may have actually improved the Dutchman’s chances. Take Jakobsen out of the limelight. Provide a backup should he falter. Ride for whoever has the legs on the day. With no Alaphilippe, no GC contender at all, there is plenty of room.” CF in “The Travesty and Tactical Folly of Leaving Mark Cavendish at Home”

That article was great for the clicks and lulz. I don’t know that there’s really room for two sprinters on any team though.

3 Likes

There is still plenty of time for more positive covid tests.

5 Likes

Sénéchal’s capabilities/skills is a better sub in than Cavendish for Declerq. It is a bit odd that they didn’t bring him to the Tour, for the PR and interest alone, but doesn’t make sense to replace a domestique with a dedicated sprinter.

3 Likes

Tim and Mathieu seemed to work just fine together in 2021 TDF.

Having a backup plan for the biggest race of the season would be sensible. I’m not even a Cavendish fan and I can see the sponsor/promo benefit of taking him.

1 Like

Mathieu was happy to lead out Tim on the flat stages and target more lumpy stages. Can you see Cav doing the same for Fabio?

2 Likes

I understand that neither a truck nor a Ferrari is an ideal replacement for a tractor, and that if forced to choose, a truck might be preferable. But even still, I suspect that is at least marginally related more to Lefevere’s ego, which is a shame on many levels.

You know what would have been interesting… What would have happened had they left the decision to Mørkøv?

2 Likes

He was a domestique for Wiggins in '12. His only wins in that edition were from freelancing. Columbia-HTC or Highroad era Cavendish most certainly would not have even considered it, but I think that “mature” Cavendish would lead out Fabio in the right circumstances.

2 Likes

The only problem is that Cav decides what the right circumstances are…

1 Like

A truck wearing the French national champion’s jersey. At Le Tour de France. Taking the British champion instead might have sparked an international incident.

1 Like

Sénéchal has a decent kick for “a truck”.

4 Likes

Let’s say he’s an electric truck :slight_smile:

1 Like

If Shen is a truck, he’s one of those hot rod trucks from the early 2000s when the madmen in performance divisions asked their CEOs if they could drop a viper motor ina fullsize

2 Likes

We get to see the French champ’ jersey for 3 weeks (hopefully) on public french TV :slight_smile: