Leveling a trainer on an uneven floor

I recently moved into a new apartment. Well, new to me; it was built in 1850 and the floors are quite uneven. I set up my Tacx Neo (with the motion plates) on a trainer mat, and went for a ride. It didn’t feel quite right. I stuck a level on saddle, and the bubble was way to the side.

Needless to say, there’s a lot of shims under furniture here, but because of the weight and movement of trainer, store-bought shims won’t provide enough support. So far, I’ve been stuffing flattened pasta boxes under the trainer mat on one side, but they’re not moving the bubble (obviously I need to eat more pasta).

Anyone else run into this issue? I suspect a less extreme tilted trainer contributed to my ischial bursitis issues at the beginning of this year, so I think it’s something people should keep in mind when setting their trainer up.

Oh god, this is the ceiling underneath where the trainer is. I’m terrified.

1 Like

While I am no structural engineer, I wouldn’t worry about the floor’s integrity, assuming it’s solid wood and woodworm isn’t a known problem (you did have a thorough survey done of an 1850 property, right?)

I had this problem in our previous house (also mid 19th century). An old thin paperback and a few pieces of tough cardboard got the trainer close enough.

However, if carboard shims aren’t working, your only solution here is probably wooden blocks, machined or planed to shape and thickness. Make them quite large to spread the weight, and make sure they can’t slide. Good luck.

1 Like

Floor tiles. Linoleum or the modern equivalent, they’re thin so you can stack them to adjust the height and they won’t compress over time like cardboard. Make a pyramid shape and they’ll spread the load.
If you’re really concerned about the strength of the floor, find the joists and use a piece of mdf or chipboard to spread the load over multiple joists. Put a piece of the same thickness under the riser block. Or move.

1 Like

On my Tacx Neo 2T, I’ve used amazon boxes. Just cut them up in rectangle shims. I have my trainer in the basement and it’s a bit uneven and it seems to have done a good job these past 2 years with leveling it out.

1 Like