Lights w/ Optics Designed for Use with GoPro Mounts

What lights on the market are there that are designed to be used with a GoPro mount AND have optics optimized for that use? So many that have GoPro mount options have optics that are designed for use “upright” on a handlebar. You would think that with the popularity of GoPro style mounting (at least on road bikes), that more light manufacturers would optimize optics for that mounting.

1 Like

I have the Garmin Varia headlight - obviously designed to operate “up side down” for the Garmin mount.
I’m happy with it!

2 Likes

Ravemen, though only the models with a round front lens e.g. the CR series. You will need to unscrew the front cap and turn the lens upside down. And get the AUB01 upside down accessory mount.

If you have infinite $ then get a Lupine SL light and one of their GoPro mounts.

3 Likes

Is the lens marked so that you accurately clock the lens when you rotate it?

It has two notches 180 degrees apart. It will align perfectly when you drop it in.

I will note that I’ve done this on a CR500 and a CR900, both of which have the previous version of optics. The newer models with the “T-shaped beam” I can’t vouch that the same hack can be done, but it looks like it should be possible.

I have the Lezyne 1300xxl which has been great - sturdy, good battery life, very bright. I’ve never noticed any difference in the optics between the two vertical orientations.
I mount it with their $2 gopro adapter and secure it with a large thumb screw which is much easier to take on and off than an allen key bolt.

Garmin Varia headlight.

Excellent illumination - I set it to minimum brightness which is enough on the road and turn off the automatic adjustment (if it could be programmed to trigger at much higher speeds it would be useful, as it is, it’s a waste of battery life on the road) and it works great with a GoPro mount.

It has really improved my night time riding.

…which is a clear indication that there is no difference, which makes it a poor choice as a road light.

Are you looking for a headlight that lets you be seen by other road users or one that allows you to see when riding in the dark?

For the former, I have a Bontrager Ion 200 RT attached under the bike computer mount of my 2019 Venge using the Bontrager Blend Universal light mount (aka GoPro mount). The ANT+ compatible light is paired with my Garmin Edge 530 so as soon as I start my activity, it’s on. It’s typically set to autodetect so it switches between flashing and steady depending on the ambient light sensor on the Edge 530. That said, the headlight has a autobrightness feature as it also has an ambient light sensor. The primary reason for using this light is to allow me be seen. I probably wouldn’t use this headlight for nighttime riding as it does not have any beam cutoff to prevent it from glaring other road users.

2 Likes

The Knog PWR range will fit your decription, I’ve got a PWR road on a go-pro mount and it works quite neatly

1 Like

K-edge makes an adapter for Niterider Lumina series. The K-edge adapters are not cheap but this is one of those get-what-you-pay-for. They make great mounts.

If you hang it under as you mention, the Niterider light will be inverted but it appears to have a symmetric beam pattern.

The thing you lose is battery status while riding, and there may be higher risk of water intrusion since the charge port (which has a rubber cover) will be more in the open and rain could collect.

I’ve been running this setup for several years with no issues.

Outbound seem to be popular and they are offering an adapter for GoPro mounts. Having them on my wishlist, cause I’m dissatisfied with my Lezyne power 115 (battery runs out too quick in highest settings - like you have 10min?, leaves you in pitch black darkness when it runs out :see_no_evil: even though it would run for about 30min in lowest setting from then on)

Though their road offering is presently offline and the new one not ready yet. On the website it shows digital renders for the new one, where I can’t see the adapter fitting. Nevertheless, here are the links:

Best bang for buck has got to be Magicshine. I have the Allty front light and in terms of build quality, beam power and spread, and battery life, it’s perfect for road cycling and works well mounted upside down too. The rear light is also excellent.

1 Like

Seems like it doesn’t have a defined cut-off. This is really annoying for oncoming traffic - hence the requirement in German STVO.
In a dream world every traffic-participant would care about the other participants and not only think about his own field of view - no offence meant. But that’s why I think a cut off is a smart decision and should be a req. on every light :wink:

3 Likes

@outbound Has the design/materials of the Gopro mount changed? Some reviews suggest that it is a bit fragile. Also, is it compatible with the upcoming new road light? Thanks.

1 Like

@ridiculous Sorry - only just noticed that you had posted the Outbound links!

Matt from Outbound here:

The gopro outfront mount linked is only for our old Road Edition light. We do have a gopro compatible quick release mount that will launch with Detour in the coming weeks. We’ve made a lot of iterations, and now quite satisfied with the mount. We knew we needed an option like that for Roadies, but the mount won’t work well with the Evo due to the Evo weight, and only so much you can do with two flat surfaces pressed together. However it’ll be more than fine for Detour.

Detour will have a strong defined cutoff line, as @ridiculous mentioned, should be standard for any road type bike as it is for vehicles. We aren’t peddling the beam pattern as something new and groundbreaking, but there is an obsession with making sure it’s a smooth, well controlled and balanced beam that blows a lot of other lights out of the water, its such a generation leap over the original Road Edition, we are quite proud of it and can’t wait to get it released!

6 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to see the finished product.

Will you be making your products available in the UK?

Lezyne has also one or more “reverse” units, designed to be used upside-down. Like the Lite Drive STVZO Pro 115 Loaded Reverse

2 Likes

I saw this front light featured on Bike Rumo(u)r: Lightskin NACA Road headlight illuminates new aero gains - Bikerumor

I just run a Bontrager Elite R upside down, the Trek website has images of it mounted upside down so I assume it’s a round beam.