Minimalist Cycling Computers

Would prefer GPS over oldskool analogue, especially with a disc fork with wider leg stance that would require angling the transmitter too far inboard to pick up the spoke magnet. Honestly, my top two priorities are minimal weight and not adding any aero drag. I don’t need power, heart rate or even cadence.
Any GPS based computers out there with the similar light weight of a CatEye analogue wireless setup?

1 Like

Here are some links to models that I thought of initially, rough sort by price (low to high):

2 Likes

Thanks for the list.

1 Like

Also, there are likely other brands too, but an option for wheel speed sensing that doesn’t require a wheel magnet and fork sense is the Wahoo Speed Sensor.

Might be a different cosmetic eye sore to some, but it wraps around the hub and doesn’t need any other magnet or sensor, but still sends the count like any magnet based wheel speed sensor.

3 Likes

seems practical, but strapping a chunky piece of plastic to the front hub is a tough sell, imo.

2 Likes

Yeah, figured so but thought I’d share it since it’s an option that some have not seen before.

1 Like

You might find this article of interest:

1 Like

If you don’t want power, HR, etc, what is that you want? Just speed and distance?

Could it be an option to keep a Garmin/wahoo in your jersey pocket or use you phone? Or you need the speed/distance displayed?

1 Like

I’ve been using a Garmin Edge 130 for the past few years as my computer. I wanted it instead of something fancier because I wanted a small, simple, black and white screen. I spend enough time looking at screens. And it’s been good! It does the basics, and it can do more than the basics of you ever want it to. The breadcrumb directions have radically changed my style of riding, because I can plan out routes beforehand (and not have to constantly check directions on a cue sheet or phone map).

After a few years of it, I’m now ready to upgrade; I’d like more robust navigation than breadcrumbs (it’s tough when there’s a gentle turn/fork, since it just shows you a direction and doesn’t give you street names or anything), and a little more analytics. But the 130 is just about as close as you can get to a basic speed/distance sensor while still having GPS.

I will say, it’s not flawless; it has some typical Garmin bugs and slowness, but they’re very rarely an issue.

Also, I’ve used one of those hub-mounted speed sensors (from Garmin). Put it on your rear hub and you’ll never notice it again. It’s certainly not necessary, since the GPS can measure speed, but it’s a bit more accurate and responsive.

3 Likes

I have done this, I use my phone just for Strava just to record time/distance but also for the Garmin Varia.

1 Like

speeds, averages and distances. all the rest is excess weight and gimmickry to me.

1 Like

I’ve been using an iGPSPORT iG50S for the last few rides and am generally liking it. It uses GPS for speed and distance but can also connect with a wheel speed sensor (hub mounted). There are no maps or navigation, so it’s a pretty simple interface. I do like the cumulative elevation gain. The distance and elevation line up pretty well with what I’ve measured with one of the Google Maps tools.

It displays speed, heart rate, and cadence, but I don’t think it is compatible with a power meter.

There were a few issues at first but it’s been working better after a software update. Their support was responsive when I emailed. I paid about $80 for the computer, mount, wheel speed and cadence sensors, and a heart rate monitor (chest strap) through Aliexpress.

Battery life seems decent, and it is easy to set up using the app.

I have no experience with any computers other than the most basic speed and distance units, so I can’t compare to the name- brand options.

1 Like

It doesn’t get any more minimalist than this….IYKYK. :wink:

9 Likes

They were so good until they weren’t…they all stopped working at some stage unfortunately. Avocet’s were cool.

Are these Avocet computers? I loved their tactile click rubber buttons and LARGE numbers. The circular magnet also was nicer than a single spoke mounted magnet. Vetta also made some nice congratulations comps…

2 Likes

Yup….always love the minimalist profile.

Makes me wonder if there is not an opportunity for something similar today. No nav, no touchscreen, but still ANT+ / BT….maybe 4 different screens (power, speed, HR, cadence) that you simply click through. Include GPS but the details just get downloaded.

Small, low profile but still get full data analysis through whatever app you use.

1 Like

That’s basically what the iGPSPORT computers are. Three basic screens, but you can download the ride history. I have no need for a map so it works well for me.

3 Likes

Avocets didn’t weigh 80+gr. just sayin’.
currently I’m building a BlackHeart Allroad Ti to use as my only bike, and just about all for road rides. very nice bike, but between the discs and ‘heavy’ frame/fork, if I don’t emphasize building it light from A-Z it would likely surpass 20 pounds all up.
otherwise, I wouldn’t really be stressing the weight thing if I were building a carbon rim brake bike.

A second-hand Edge 25 should do the trick. Just remember to disable auto-scroll (plain annoying in my experience).

1 Like

intriguing, that is small and light. so all the data that’s offered by something like a CatEye Strada like odometer/times/distances/speeds/averages, etc?

1 Like