New Canyon Ultimate on UCI frame list

It’s probably gonna have integrated cables, D shape seat post, lighter, more aero, stiffer, more compliant, and able to accept tires up to 30c. I hope they stray away from the adjustable handlebars and seat post problems that were on the 2020+ Aeroad.

The current model already accepts tires up to 32c

Despite being a 7 year old frame, it shows how good the current Ultimate is that any changes will mainly be cosmetic such as the hidden cables. Canyon seem pretty wedded to BB86 so I can’t see them moving to a threaded BB which is a shame.

I can’t see Canyon making it much more aero if it adds substantial weight given that the Aeroad already exists.

It would have been nice if it went the same direction as the Aethos and prioritised lightweight and ride feel over meeting the UCI weight limit. The Aeroad is there if you want to race.

1 Like

Why wouldn’t you want adjustable handlebars? There is no issue with them and it allows for easy width adjustment and travel?

I also would say there wasn’t really any issue with the seatpost either.

I’m not so worried about the handlebars as it seems like there hasn’t been issues since MVDP snapped his aeroad handlebars. I’d suspect they either use the similar adjustable handlebar that the Aeroad uses. What I am slightly concerned about is the seatpost issue that seems to plague canyon Aeroad riders still even after their “fix” of the problem. If they are to use a similar design to the Aeroad seatpost then it could pose similar problems. Id say just design a d shape seatpost similar to the cervelo r5

A piece of clear 3M tape solved the seat post “issue”. Simple, cheap, effective.

The current Ultimate was way ahead of it’s time. That said, the front end with the CP10 one piece bar/stem is rock hard. Fixing that would be on my wish list. And maybe some internal storage if I can be greedy? I imagine it will be marginally more aero and maybe a smidge lighter.

As for press fit, my experience has been creak free despite abuse and less than stellar maintenance.

Also the only issue of the seatpost is due to its aero profile while being flexible, I doubt the ultimate will have a deep section post like that. Maybe a D section but nothing more.

I can fit 35mm gravel kings in the rear of mine no problem, and 38 up front

1 Like

D shaped post and adjustable width and height one piece handlebar afrom the Aeroad.

1 Like

How much revolution do you expect to see in the future from a framemaker? Are there any significant changes in the materials or production techniques being used making frames?

Hence my first paragraph. It’s a great frame and to be honest we haven’t moved on a great deal since the current Ultimate was released.

The new Ultimate looks like an evolution of the current frame, not a revolution.

This point was also recently made by the CT staff on the latest Nerd Alert podcast.

1 Like

Can we name one frame model that kept his name and positition in a brand catalog and was a total revolution?

I would say the only ones that come to my mind were the transitions from bikes that weren’t designed with a particular concern of aero to the new generation. Pinarello Dogma 65.1 → Dogma F8, 2018 to 2019 Cannondale Supersix Evo, Specialized SL5 to SL6. But appart than a few seatpost collars that disappeared in favor of seatpost wedge and a different aesthetic brought by lowered seatstay you cannot even talk about revolution. Bike design and technologies are pretty stable in the grand scheme of things. Even bringing major changes like disc brakes and electronic groupsets didn’t revolutionize what a road bike is, everything comes incrementally.

1 Like

Uhhhhh….:man_shrugging:

The obvious answer is the Trek Madone….went from all around TDF “winning” bike to full-on aero road machine.

Good point, there’s been a few recent examples of CX bikes that have become Gravel race machines, for example the SuperX and the Crux. They’ve had more relaxed geometries, larger tyre clearances and sometimes mounting points for bike luggage. It’d be difficult to call any of them a revolution though

1 Like

Tbh I think virtually any improvements on top end race frames from the major manufacturers will be very marginal at this point. Some bb/reliability issues aside, most frames have been very, very good for at least 5 years.

As far as Canyon goes, sorting out availability would be a good start.

Ding, Ding, Ding. The proof of this has been the melding of lightweight race bikes w/ aero bikes…bikes are getting so good it is hard to justify separate categories.

part of the problem for Canyon is that you can only go to one source for their bikes…so it appears to make the problem seem worse. When they are out, they are out…you can’t search for a another dealer who might have the bike you want.

Had forgot about that one.

My point stands, these things happened when there was a paradigm shift with a - quite late I must say - sudden acknowledgement that aero mattered. Most brands operated that shift a few years ago and since them it is just incremental improvements. Which is normal imho.

I think we all agree that unless a really special tech appear we don’t see it changing much.