New LeMond road bike just launched. What do you thinK?

It’s posted at this link, which Lemond just emailed via its newsletter. It sure looks nice. I might like a gloss version for the paint.

2 Likes

There’s a lot to like here: looks very slippery, matrix core, made in USA. A few things to go wrong if the execution is off, especially the carbon threads BB. What is the pricing?

1 Like

I like it except for the carbon threads everywhere… that’s not an area where carbon excels and I can see there being issues there. Otherwise, pretty clean and fairly modern looking ride.

1 Like

Agreed. Lots to like for sure! My one concern would definitely be the BB…I’m curious as to the at-home maintenance considerations for a BB with “…carbon fiber lattice construction technique that locks in place the carbon fiber threaded sleeves”. Seems innovative for sure, but might be a concern for some.

Fairly modern geo, without being an out-and-out race steed. Will be interested to see how this lands!

1 Like

Someone needs to teach the team at Lemond how to place shifters on the HB…blech.

Or if that is where they want them, the HB design is awful.

Good looking bike though…but threaded carbon? :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

1 Like

It’s asking a lot for customers to make a large deposit when it appears that all we’ve got right now is some computer drawings.

2 Likes

I’ll let someone else be the guinea pigs for carbon threads, I don’t see how that is a good idea. I have never heard anyone that seems to know anything about carbon design and manufacturing say anything good about threads in carbon.

1 Like

These bikes appear to be more innovative than a majority of carbon bikes on the market today. I would be surprised if the carbon threading on these is anything like the half arsed carbon threaded bolts etc in today’s market. I look forward to seeing these tested when they come out. Manufactured in the USA too.

Good on Greg LeMond, I doubt he can be any worse than the Open’s, Cannondales and Cervelo’s currently in the market.

“The LeMond 8 features a unique BB shell created with a carbon fiber lattice construction technique that locks in place the carbon fiber threaded sleeves. This ultra-strong web-like cylinder is co-cured into the frame for a unibody construction with immense lateral stiffness. All the benefits of a threaded BB without the weight penalty”.

1 Like

I’m a big Greg LeMond fan so for that reason alone, I’m pulling for this being something good.

I think the fact they are attempting to go so far as to rely on a carbon-only approach to the BB and other frame parts that have metal bits is legitimately pushing the envelope. (I’m not a carbon expert so especially curious how the strength/durability/etc works for threaded parts.).

Of course reviews will gauge how well Lemond succeeds on the performance, but I’ll be pulling for them at least for taking the chance and not just slapping the LeMond name on a standard-issue bike. For a similar reason, I’m glad to see how they approached their e-bike line.

1 Like

It would be good to see images of actual pre-production bikes, or even final prototypes. And it would be even better to have some (more or less) independent reviews of those.

Now, indeed, it’s a pre-sale that requests a lot of faith (and money, no doubt).

I think what they are doing is working with the anisotropic nature of carbon composites rather than against it as traditional threads do.

How this could work is to wind carbon prepreg along the helical path of the required thread on a forming mandrel, cure it, then unscrew the mandrel.

If this is the case it would explain why the threaded areas are formed separately from the frame and then “co-cured”.

FWIW co-curing is just letting the laminating epoxy do the bonding.

5 Likes

My biggest downside would be that direct mount rear mech hanger. I know Shimano is using it this generation but neither Sram nor Campy makes mechs for it, nor any smaller brands for that matter. It’s all well and good while this generation is available but in 5 years’ time who knows?

I’ve got this problem right now on my MTB, 11 speed XT that is now 6 years old and bits are a bit worn but can’t move to 12 speed since no one uses this standard on MTB now so am stuck either living with a bit poor shifting or hunting NOS which seems annoying getting last gen.

That’s not the case.

As far as I am aware all major current derailleurs support direct mount, you just remove the redundant link.

Here is Campagnolo’s set of instructions on how to do this (see page 4) :

I know nothing about SRAM but assume they will follow Shimano, as will the minnows.

Caveat: this does not mean the frames will work with a Campagnolo group: from the blurb quoted above these are electronic only and EPS will not fit through routing that conforms to DI2 spec as the EPS connectors are larger diameter (7.5mm). I recently had to make an entirely new back end for a frame to get around this problem

Ah was wrong about Campy, but SRAM doesn’t look as if they’re going for it there’s no link to remove or if it is it’s very well hidden in the manual.
MTB have all moved away from DRD, don’t think many bikes went for it in the end. Just mine it would seem!

My understanding is that all major RDs will support DM for the foreseeable future. I Recently fitted a current spec Shimano 12S XT group to a frame, it is direct mount.

Edit: here is a pic; it was taken to show off the stainless rack but you can see the DM RD.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2n3mdNE]

Really?! I love you!

I was under the impression xt didn’t have that removable link to use DMD, clearly my Google skills are poor this week!

Push comes to shove almost all DM RD mounts are removable, in extremis you could make a new mount that allowed you to fit a non DM RD.

I must admit I’ve made a couple of frames that had non removeable mounts but the owners know where to find me if that causes a problem.

What standard are you running that you can’t make work with 12 speed? I have yet to see a bike capable of running 11 speed XT that can’t run 12 speed… aside from a freehub shell change, there’s really nothing else that isn’t directly compatible.

And pretty much everyone supports DM derailleurs, you just pull the upper link and the DM mount takes its place.

All the docs I can find on Shimano’s site states it mount type is conventional. RD-M8100-SGS

I could well be wrong but it’s doesn’t look like MTB are using DM now, and I’d be happy to be proven wrong cos that would solve a bunch of problems!

So you have a DM hanger and want to mount 12 speed but 12 speed isn’t available DM, that’s your issue? Have you checked with your frame manufacturer or https://derailleurhanger.com/ to see if you can just find a regular hanger? Pretty much everyone who jumped onboard the direct mount trend made regular hangers available as well.