Outside laying off 12% of staff

So Outside buys up all these entities, consolidates them, and then lays off the staff? The whole reason we bought CT memberships to begin with was to directly support the journalists, content creators, and staff we could engage with…and to avoid being part of this vicious corporate cycle. They cannot start to cut the staff we pay directly, out of the reader’s pocket, to enjoy.

9 Likes

Heart goes out to all the CT staff. Any outside staff cuts will suck, but y’all are the ones I care most about

6 Likes

Sigh. Absolute garbage news.

consultants_mini

1 Like

Announced on the same day that Protocol, the tech news website, is getting shuttered.

The media landscape is just brutal right now….and it should scare everyone. Journalism is essential to any free society and the major avenues of communication are getting gobbled up by billionaires and investment groups.

8 Likes

The tragic irony is that on the same day of this layoff announcement, one of Outside’s outlets posted a report by the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis stating that outside recreation now contributes a “staggering $862 billion to the U.S. economy.”

2 Likes

and what does this mean?
https://twitter.com/CaleyFretz/status/1592670777421500417?s=20&t=jdtXzZPhZbYjhe97ZSfBUg

2 Likes

Looks like Caley is gone. WTF. I’ve been a loyal member, but given what’s going on, I’ll have to evaluate if I’ll be sticking around.

4 Likes

I’m even less inclined to subscribe to o+ with each round of shit like this. I really like VC and get tremendous value out of it. This threatens that value.

2 Likes

More than threatens, guts that value.

3 Likes

I Think Wade’s gonna have to get the band back together.

He’s surely got a pile of cash from the buy out, a devoted fan base, talent that is available so it’s a no brainier.
The susbscription model is now established so it should be a fairly easy transition. Only question is whether Outside can squeeze the brands to boycott the new site with product for review or if Wade has a non compete clause?

And he got a free bike out of all of this😀

3 Likes