Peloton Bike Pros and Cons: Part II

Hello Everyone,

After a few weeks using the Peloton services, another question popped up.

First off, the exercises are for real. But they have very little to do with cycling “proper”, meaning, it’s exercise for sure, but it’s not structured like a training plan. For instance, there’s very little attention paid to a smooth stroke, or spinning easy between efforts (they ask to keep the intensity but lower rpms between intervals). That per se is not a problem. The question I have is if the result down the line would be the same as if i were doing a racer-specific program. In the end, fitness is fitness, but I have to question whether the unstructured (for us) workouts would get us as fit after 3 months as if we had followed a specific base program.
The advantage of Peloton is the workouts go by very quickly. A 45min session blazes by, and in some sessions they add weights for the upper body while pedaling. That was surprisingly hard. And in some efforts i got my HR higher than on regular insideride sprints/intervals.
If i had to pick a bone it’d be the excessive talking, but that doesn’t get in the way of the intensity or quality.

So for the scientific folks out there, please chime in.

Thanks,

Gus

This question is too vague and unspecific to answer. You need to know the details of the two programs you are referring to…are they both a “base building” program? Is one more focused on higher intensity than the other?

At the end of the day, time in a training zone is time in a training zone. Assuming the programs are relatively similar, you’ll advance similarly.

One of the strongest guys on our Tues / Thurs AM rides spends his winter on the Peloton…he has even stacked back-to-back classes and done centuries on it. He is a beast and regularly buries us…

If you put the time in, and choose your programs wisely, then there is no downside to a Peloton. If you are just grab-assing classes as they come up with no focus / direction, you are likely not being as efficient as you could be.

1 Like

Do a Power Zone class with Matt Wilpers. Power Zone classes are more like traditional cycling, leaving out the “dancing” things like tap backs. Lots of new Peloton users tend to be drawn to the “hot” teachers you see in commercials. Matt is more like a coach. There are other PZ classes, but Matt started it all and knows what he’s doing.

or as I like to call them “Stupid Human Tricks On A Bike”… :crazy_face:

1 Like

It just boggles my mind why anyone would think this is a good idea…even if you’re looking for general fitness and not cycling fitness. It’s flat out dangerous.

1 Like