Piedmont (Piemonte), Italy Stay and Ride Recommendations?

Planning to stay around five days in or near Turin after a riding trip in Switzerland, wondering if anyone has experience and recommendations on towns or accommodations for a base to have some nice riding in the days and with walkable cafes and dining for off-bike time? We’re talking next month mid-October, knowing weather could be wide-ranging.

1 Like

Definitely Pinerolo!

1 Like

You could base yourself in Alba, the heart of Langhe wine country. Many day rides from there in different directions (Komoot has good suggestions), including to hilltop villages overlooking vineyards. The scenery is lovely. And great food (and wine!) in that region.

1 Like

Check out Piedmont Bike Hotel. Piedmont Bike Hotels, Cycling Holidays Piemonte

I have stayed here and would do so again. Unfortunately not walkable to any towns of note.

1 Like

I also second Alba area. Nice little towns to explore and excellent riding
Alps (Pinerolo, Sestriere, etc) would make it definitely for better rides, but October is already too late.

1 Like

Stayed in Costiglione Saluzzo in 2013; lovely little town and rideable access to the entire Langhe Valley as well as the alpine climbs like Monviso and access by bike and train down to San Marino. Highly recommended. Our operator had us in Castello Rosso, but I don’t know if it rents out individual rooms.

1 Like

Thanks for all these replies!

I had just come across the Piedmont Bike Hotel, I’m tempted by the spa amenities, but I did have concern about it appearing outside of any town.

Looking for accommodation in Alba area is tougher than expected, as there is a truffle festival going on that draws lots of tourists.

Castello Rosso is a great recommendation, and it appears to have availability.

Appreciate the input so far, still considering many options, including sticking to the Milan area to decrease some logistical hurdles.

Another option outside of Piemonte is Lake Garda. Check out Garda Bike Hotel
Cycling Holidays in Italy on Lake Garda - Garda Bike Hotel. They are located in Peschiera del Garda. The train station is a short walk from the hotel and it is on the main line from Milan to Venice, so the logistics can be quite easy.
They are excellent with guided trips each day included in the cycling package. I have stayed there twice and plan to again next year. They rent bikes too if you need. They have a fleet of Pinarello F12s and Grenvils. Peschiera is a nice town and Verona is an easy day trip away (by train).

1 Like

Milan area is aweful for cycling, unless you stay 30-50km north in Lecco, Como,etc. Lake Como has great cycling weather almost all year round and great routes

2 Likes

Thanks Peter, looks great, I’m gonna give it a try!

@camered_aria in Locana just north of Turin, base for a ride up the Colle del Nivolet and Lago Teleccio, the Gran Paradico National Park… trust me, Rosita and Mattia are fabulous hosts, this is a very very cool hotel… have a coffee and a beer across the road with Senora, give her regards from Marco…;o)

2 Likes

Maybe look into Dogliani, southern tip of the wine region, still lovely and within range of great landscapes and rides, but possibly less touristy and less affected by the truffle festival