Please STOP the Spoilers in the titles of daily TdF podcasts

That’s it, it is all in the title.
Due to time zones, I watch coverage in the morning when I get up. If I see the podcast title accidently before watching coverage then the result is spoiled. E.g. “Stage 9: Welcome to the Jungels”

7 Likes

I’ve often said cycling websites should offer a paid subscription zero spoilers version (through a separate URL) of their site. I’d certainly pay for it and with the global appeal of cycling along many time zones I totally see the viability of that product. MLB app has a “Spoiler Mode” which prevents you from seeing scores or game outcome articles and highlights and I use it religiously.

2 Likes

Concur 100% on this….kind of amazing they are doing it.

I have notifications set for my podcasts as there are some others I listen to almost immediately….having spoilers pop up on my phone is sub-optimal.

Luckily I had watched the Jungels stage live so avoided the spoiler, but when I saw the title I just kinda shook my head.

2 Likes

Yes, ideally I would prefer to not have the need to stop following the CT podcast for the month of July. That kind of defeats the purpose of the podcast!

1 Like

P.S. it goes without saying how good the podcast is, the team are interesting and funny and it gives a different view into the tour.
Please keep up the great work :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Duh. Why visiting cycling related content if you are afraid of spoilers?

8 Likes

OP is talking about Podcast titles and alerts for podcasts not article/site content. If he pulls up the podcast app of choice to listen to say an episode of 99 Percent Invisible while working out or has podcast alerts, it’s unlikely he’d be able to avoid seeing the title of the Cyclingtips podcast unless he unsubbed from the podcast and manually accessed the podcast after watching the stage.

5 Likes

I understand your concerns. Not sure what app you use for your podcasts. I use Pocket Casts which allows me to control - on a Pod by Pod basis - whether to receive notifications, and whether to auto download.

The app also allows you to control what Pods you see in your Lists. For example, the list entitled “Current” will show all pods I haven’t listened to excluding any CT and TCP pods. I could set up a separate list called “Spoilers” (or similar) and place them in there.

I have CT and TCP set to no notifications and no auto-downloads. Never been caught out yet.

3 Likes

Completely agree with this - no spoilers in the titles would be good.
I got bit by this the first day, then moved the pod to manual downloads, which really just means I don’t listen to it.
I don’t see how spoilers in the title ‘add value’ to a daily update podcast like this.

2 Likes

I end up being weirdly more productive in July, because I avoid Twitter all day.

6 Likes

It’s kind of funny that the title is one of the only parts of the podcast where they actually discuss what happened in the race.

3 Likes

And it’s why I love the Pod. :grinning:

I also love Never Strays Car - which contains about 0.003% cycling news.

1 Like

I just use the Apple app……seems kinda silly for me to have to change which app I use for podcasts when simply using non-spoiler titles is the easy answer.

Even if I turn all notifications off, when you open the Apple app, it brings you to a page with the latest episodes of pods you subscribe to….so you are likely to see it even when you open the app.

AFAIK, CT is the only pod using titles that occasionally are spoilers (worth noting that not all of them are). The Cycling Podcast, Lantern Rouge, etc all just say “TdF Stage X” or something similar.

4 Likes

Because it isn’t always visible in only cycling related content.

1 Like

Excellent advice, thank you

I don’t think content producers should accomodate for people with bad mobile/computer hygiene.

I think you’re confused with how capitalism and a free market consumer request works. The market maker can do whatever they want. It sounds like they’ll just lose people who unsubscribe and forget to resubscribe to the podcast vs gain people who benefit from having spoilers in the title of a podcast.

1 Like

You can be subscribed to a feed/podcast/channel and control what you get notified of, when and how.

1 Like

Not necessarily…when you open the Apple pod app, it opens to “Listen now”, which has the most recent episodes listed. You can’t control that…unless you unsubscribe to the pod.

1 Like

My answer to this is not to use ANY news or social media before I’ve watched the race. Even then I still get caught out a friend posted in a WhatsApp group yesterday. “ I guess we’ll all have to learn to descend faster on an MTB now” I knew straight away who had won the stage.

2 Likes