Powermeter data drop outs

Hi,
I have a 4iii dual sided powermeter which drops out on my Garmin a few times each ride, maybe every hour or so. Does anyone have any ideas or a fix for this issue? It’s connected on ant+ not bluetooth.
I do have Stages PM on another bike which does not exhibit this issue. I would rule out the Garmin head unit as the heart rate still displays.
Any updates have been done and batteries are reasonably new.
I know it’s first world problems, but it does bug me when the data screens go blank.
Thanks in advance for any help.

I had a similar problem with a Garmin 130, about once an hour it would drop Ant+ for exactly 30 seconds, no more, no less. Used different Ant+ HR straps and power meters, but always the same. If I used my old Garmin 510 in parallel, it recorded/displayed correctly when the 130 dropped out. Did not get a decent answer from Garmin, but the internet searches said issues with chip set. So replaced the 130 with Wahoo Element Bolt.

Unless your Stages PM and HR are using bluetooth to connect to the Garmin, unlikely to be the same problem. I would borrow a head unit from a friend and see if you can replicate the issue. If you do, contact 4iii because I would say there is an issue with the Ant+ broadcast from the PM (ie not continuously broadcasting). Send them a couple of data files to confirm it.

1 Like

brief dropouts between devices communicating wirelessly is standard. it messes with your OCD for sure but it’s normal.

if it’s staying dropped out for longer periods then there’s an issue to worry about more.

1 Like

Thanks Nick. I’ll see if I can get a different head unit as all sensors are on Ant+.

Check out the garmin user forums. There have been a lot of issues with sensor dropouts on edge units, sadly.

1 Like

Similar dropouts for me on 4iiii single sided with Karoo 2.

1 Like