Rain bikes

Nowadays I live in Andalucía, Spain. It rains so little I can’t really justify having a dedicated bike for wet days. From times to times we have the odd wet week. It rarely rain all day but you have to expect some showers and weather change quickly on the coast line. So this week I put the mudguards on my gravel bike so I can ride anytime without having to check for the weather.

It is kind of temporary so zefal plastic fenders and since I lost some of the fitting parts in a move there is a bit of a hack at the bridge between the seatstay. Still it does the job and protect me nicely without rattle or annoying noise.

However I must admit I have a fetish for dedicated all weather bikes with very nice permanent mudguard setups and kind of regret at times never having build one.

Show me your rain bike!

4 Likes

Wet weather, winter, do it all mile muncher…

5 Likes

Pictured in French summer for a bit of context :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

:wave: from the Pacific Northwest, fenders are quite essential here!

All-City Space Horse with Sim-Works Honjo fenders. To be honest, it looks better than it rides. But it’s the first bike I built up myself so I’ll never part with it.

Trek Domane with Bontrager NCS fenders. I think the fender stays are quite ugly but they make fender adjustments so easy.

8 Likes

I’ve got 2. Both rim brake (KoolStop pads) and yep, one with cantilever brakes. SKS Longboard fenders on both

Honey Midurance Ti - 28mm tires measuring 30mm
Gunnar Crosshairs - 32mm tires measuring 30mm due to narrow rims

6 Likes

Very much a permanent solution - the bike is built around all weather and for comfort over speed. Honjo are Japanese jewels. Another great thing about mudguards is how they extend drivetrain life by multiples.

8 Likes

Great setups Joe

1 Like

Monsoon-Marin_sepia

These are two of my modified hybrids. The ‘Kellys’ was originally a flat bar hybrid that got ‘drop-barred’. The other is an older (not stock) Marin Fairfax SC2 (2014). Mudguards are SKS. Mounting bolts glued with rubber solution as thread locker.

4 Likes

Interesting (and aesthetically great) placement of the front (Dura Ace?) QR skewer.

There are some really eagle eyed bicycle connoisseurs out there.

Ever since owning a white Manitou SX where the damper location on the left side had me put my front skewers on the right side, I never put the skewers back on the left. Why? The way I reach down to open the skewers, I use only my right hand from standing next to the bike. Yes, it’s a dura-ace 9000 hubset with CX-Ray spokes.

1 Like

Appreciate your reply saying why.
Also gotta appreciate the crossed (vs radially laced) CX Ray spokes. Cheers!

1 Like

I have been staring at a picture of a different build of the same frame for the last couple of days, cause I really like the style and paint job! Funny to spot it here on the forum as well. What would be your complaint with it?

I thought with the right wheels and groupset I could use the Space Horse for fast rainy group rides, but compared with the Domane: the handling is ponderous, it carries a lot of extra weight when climbing, and I haven’t found the ride to be a lot more comfortable even with supple 35mm tires (compared to the Domane’s 28mm Pirelli race tires). I definitely notice it being harder to keep up on group rides, and it just doesn’t feel like it wants to go fast.

Maybe that’s normal for a (light) touring bike though–I only have road bikes to compare it to.

I do get a ton of compliments on it though, especially from non-bike people!

2 Likes

A shame about the comfort, cause that’s where I would have also expected it be shine. Perhaps it also says something about how good the Domane is?

1 Like

this one takes the most foul weather :see_no_evil:

Besides all the dirt stuff I ride and just don’t mind the nitty gritty doing so and go to the cleaners afterwards :hugs:

Rain bike of the frozen variety. 2.3“ DHRIIs and it will manage 10-20cm of soft stuff.

For unfrozen I use my stainless steel Stelbel with BBB mudguards that go under the QR and bolt under the brake arch. 10 mins to fit in autumn, but generally I prefer the turbo or running if it’s below 10 degrees and raining.

1 Like

That’s a proper set of fenders/mudguards. It’s amazing how dry your feet stay when you have flaps that almost touch the ground. To me, front fenders are a waste if they are any higher than that, although a big enough pothole might be your worst enemy. Others may make fun of them, but to me, fenders are the best thing you can do to build a proper rain bike. Well, proper brake pads & rim surface (still haven’t gotten a disc brake bike) and wet chain lube are right there too if you feel that surviving a bike ride is more important than dry feet.

2 Likes

Ich sag mal bei minus 10 Grad Celsius schneit es :wink:
Schönes YETI und das Stelbel darfst Du ruhig auch posten … es hat einen Stahlvelo Faden …

1 Like

Its my do-it-all beater. Rain, snow, some gravel, even the occasional bikepacking. Alu Spesh Diverge w/Rival 1. sks metal fenders and a modified ass saver as front flap.

4 Likes

Thanks for the Ass Saver idea. I was gifted one by someone who didn’t realize I have more fenders than bikes.

2 Likes