Replacement forks and shocking customer service - cannondale

I’ve a 2020 supersix evo in rim brake (direct mount), purchased direct from LBS in London when I lived there who is a official cannondale reseller. I’ve had it 2 years and during its annual service I found a small fracture in the steerer tube. Not sure if it was caused by a little crash I had or if a faulty torque wrench (cheap wiggle own brand) is to blame but that’s not the point.

I’m based in France now so my first port of call was to go direct to cannondale’s website here and try get in touch. I did so through their online contact form and after 2months still no reply. Reached out to several bike stores including the one I purchased from back in London to see if a replacement fork could be purchased and nobody has the ability to order one from cannondale, the shop in London saying when the bike launched plenty of people needed replacement forks because many damaged them with the little steerer stopper but now no stock shows available from the cannondale distributor.

I reached out then directly to the UK arm of the cannondale website and again after a month of waiting I still have no reply.

Obviously I won’t be riding that frame either ever or until a replacement can be found for the fork. Repair companies don’t seem to like repairing steerers because of the high pressures used in their manufacture not being ideal for repair.

Cannondale made this bike and sold it to me 2 years ago, surely I should expect that they would have the ability to repair/replace the bike/parts after such a short period of time???

I know the guys in need alert talk about the right to repair a lot. This just seems like really bad form from cannondale, first to not offer the replacement parts in the first place via their distributors but also to have just blanked me on both the french and UK customer service side…

Anyone else had similar experiences ?

1 Like

Don’t have similar experience and I understand it is a shame they can’t sell you a replacement fork for such a recent model.

Thanksfully there are reputable third party manufacturers such as Columbus, Enve, 3T, Dedacciai, Kinesis that can most probably offer a fork with a similar or very close crown/axle length and rake. You might have to switch to single pivot brake though as direct mount has never been hugely popular on custom bikes.

1 Like

Probably not exactly what you’re looking for, but I have a spare black Cannondale rim brake fork that you could have for the cost of shipping. Came from a CAAD Black Inc which I’m 90% sure is the same as the supersix fork. Rear derailleur tore off and punched a hole in the frame but the fork is A-OK.

2 Likes

Cannondale is awful for customer service or warrantying products. Troves of stories about this in the products I won’t buy again thread. I had a SuperSix Evo high mod that had a rear end completely out of alignment and would rub a 23 out of the saddle after a few years of the alignment wearing grooves in the drop outs. Still denied warranty at two dealers and directly as the wheel spun on the stand. Never again. Highly doubtful you cracked the steerer due to a cheap torque wrench. I’ve got the fork for the 2015 Super Six I had if you want it but I’m in the US.

2 Likes

My experience was better but not really satisfactory. I have a 2016 CAAD12. During the initial build I was installing a Campagnolo front rim brake caliper using a Syntace torque wrench and was unable to reach the 10Nm torque - which to be fair is far higher than Shimano’s 5-7Nm. Inside was a large void where the carbon “tunnel” was detached from the rest of the fork. I’d bought the bike in Australia, but went through the warranty process with the closest dealer in Singapore. It was straightforward, but I was charged around $300 “to have it sent from the US” - presumably the cost of a new one. So not a great outcome.

I recently sent a crash-damaged 2014 Supersix to Raoul Luescher for repair. As a precaution, I also sent the undamaged fork for inspection, and this revealed two 8cm long manufacturing voids, one in the leg and one in the steerer. I was recommended not to ride the fork again. In theory I could have taken up the case with Cannondale but it wouldn’t have been worth the hassle.

Based on these experiences I wouldn’t buy another Cannondale - although I really like my aluminium CAAD12, and still ride my old CAAD8 and F2000sl Optimo MTB.

2 Likes

Interesting that there are loads of stories about bad experiences with Cannondale I’ll go read that thread.

The problem with the after market forks is that the 2020 Supersix is the current shape (the more ‘aero’ looking version) In their first year of release they had the option of Rim or Disc in the non high mod versions. I opted for Rim at the time for the sake of simpler maintenance. But I think they only had that option for the first year. The fork is proprietary to the frame with this version (unlike the previous round tube version which took the same fork as the caad12 and would accept aftermarket forks) it has a moulded rear side that fits into the shape of a cutout in the downtube and I think its specifically shaped to match the aerofoil shape of the front of the frame…

@Joe_Bell which CAAD fork do you have and where about are you based ? I imagine the CAAD13 fork geometry is identical even if its not got the weird moulding at the back, maybe there’s a chance it would fit… would still look pretty funky I imagine

I’ve raged about Cannondale’s utterly sh1t customer service on here before, but these anecdotes bear repeating. Indeed, my LBS has stopped dealing with them after these 2 incidents, which were their final straw.

1. 2020 (ish) Supersix comes in with a crack in the chainstay on the inside, Cannondale, without inspection, insisted it was crash damage, despite the shop and customer quite reasonably asking how it’s possible to crash a bike in such a way that the inside of the chainstay is cracked but the rest of the bike doesn’t have so much as a paint scratch. After months I think he got a new frame at cost (!)
  2. Another Cannondale (bought online) comes in with sh1tty front shifting. After a long while, the shop discover that the issue is the FD hanger is so misaligned that the derailleur physically can’t be set up correctly. Cannondale: ‘crash damage’. So apparently you can crash a bike in a way which bends your carbon FD hanger but doesn’t affect or mark anything else.

Sorry OP, I think you’re going to be struggling. The second hand market or a comparable equivalent from another manufacturer is likely to be your best bet.

Just as an aside, I have known some people shame certain manufacturers into changing behaviour following social media blitzes (helps if you got a 4+ digit following, mind you…)

2 Likes

what a nightmare, it’s mad that its so habitual for them. I was just reading through the stuff you wouldn’t buy again forum where I saw you’d commented about the same anecdotes. properly mental that they get away with it…

What’s quite odd is that a) it’s out of line with their competitors (Trek and Specialized are usually pretty accommodating with warranty claims, especially on the higher end models) and b) it’s poor thinking.

Let me explain: you know the old adage that if a customer likes your product or your service they’ll tell 2-3 people, but if they hate it, they’ll tell 10?

I reckon those 2 incidents at 1 bike shop probably cost Cannondale 10 sales, if not more. So it’s poor business sense, as well as poor customer service.

2 Likes

Specialized is pretty good with warranties, I bought an S-Works Venge after the Super Six Evo, it developed a chain stay crack and the warranty experience was the polar opposite of C-Dale. Ended up selling the replacement buying aluminum and the proceeds went into buying a used Hyabusa of all things which both myself and my license managed to survive owning :joy:.

1 Like

@R_R_33 ah, forgot that the Supersix transitioned to the aero fork. It will always be frozen in my memory as that beautiful/outdated 2019 frameset. You’re right, it would probably not work.

1 Like

yeh to be fair the 2020 shape isn’t the most iconic out there just feels a shame for the frame to go to the landfill just because of the fork

Maybe you can find a diac version of the fork and ride it mulet? Arguably most of the improvement in disc brakes come from the front anyway.

Took over a year to receive replacement Hollowtech chainrings.If Cannondale’s marketing department is going to upsell proprietary wear parts, like chain rings, they should at least stock them. I fear I’ll never get another replacement.

1 Like

Don’t think that would be my jam really apart from the weird aesthetic of it it would mean weird mismatch wheels, either mismatch shifters or use of mechanical disc calliper (which aren’t ideal) and then totally different modulation feel etc under breaking between front and rear of the bike. I don’t want to see the frame scrapped but It’s in the bin long before that option I think ! :joy:

Instead of binning it I would sell it. The mullet option might bother you but someone wanting a cheap superlight commuter or a courrier might be interested.

There have been mullets sold by some brands and I think anyone can get used to a difference in lever feel between front and rear and adapt instinctively.

1 Like

Interesting, for the time being its being stripped down of any of the upgraded parts I put on and I’m building up a new frame. I’ll keep hold of it a couple more months incase I get anywhere with Cannondale but if not you’re right it might find its way onto eBay