Retro electric down tube shifters

I made an electric down tube shifters. There is an example of SRAM posting a wireless downtube shifters on April Fool’s Day 2017, but it seems that no one else has actually made something that works.

A volume is added to the down tube shifters to move the servo motor attached to the rear derailleur steplessly.

Please see here for how it actually works.

15 Likes

The hero we need.

2 Likes

3 Likes

This is so cool. Nice job!

1 Like

Very cool!

1 Like

Very nice! I saw your Di2 ones a while ago, they’re great!

1 Like

This is sort of wacky and greater for it, I think!

1 Like

It’s a pleasure to be called wacky.:laughing:

2 Likes

I hope someone will imitate it and make it. These are open source and open minded.

Actually moving the lever is much more linear and fun than the Di2 one. And the movement is much lighter than expected. It’s a feather touch!

2 Likes

I have been told by the president of a Chinese manufacturer called SENSAH that it is interesting. If they made this, it would be a hero. They are developing electric shifters.

This is a modified version of the Di2 climbing shifter. It’s much easier to make this.

3 Likes

Give me the Ig Nobel Prize!:joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

This steel frame is beautiful.
Do you like Campagnolo?

Does it have friction mode?:pray:

3 Likes

The first one posted is friction mode.
Friction is minimal, as it doesn’t move while riding, as it doesn’t have to resist the return springs like a mechanical one.

A silicone tube is inserted into the shaft to hold the lever.

Unlike a normal down tube shifter, it uses 3mm screws to fix it to the frame.

An aluminum spacer is attached.

2 Likes

Totally awesome. A futaba servo to make a unique Italo-Japanese hybrid?

1 Like

I’m Japanese, but the servo I used was made in Korea Hyperion servo.

This is the best thing ever. So interesting to see how you figured this out. Thank you for experimenting, inventing, and sharing!

1 Like