Retro electric down tube shifters

I like the friction type, so next time I would like to add a front derailleur to make a front and rear friction type electric bar end shifter. In that case, I would like to program the front derailleur with automatic trim. It moves linearly during operation and automatically trims after 1 second.

2 Likes

Exactly what was gained here?

Fun! And knowledge! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

improved riding skill from having to take a hand off the bars to shift.

Really?? That’s the best reason? You can’t take a hand off the bars without electric downtube shifting?
BTW, I am not clear on how that improves riding skill but if you believe it does, go for it.

I was joking.

1 Like

I made one that shifts gears just by pressing a switch button, but the analog one was more fun to operate!

3 Likes

Your ingenuity and imagination are really impressive…Shimano should hire you so they can revamp the entire Di2 user experience.

Good stuff!!

2 Likes

This shift lever is based on the MAVIC ZAP professional team model, which is the pioneer of electric shifters.

1 Like

I saw that…it was a nice touch. :sunglasses:

The really good thing that Mavic did with Zap and Mektronic is that they re-thought how the rider can interface with the shifting. Shimano basically just took the STI process and made it electronic. IMO, that was a big missed opportunity.

2 Likes

Did you see a switch dedicated to the professional team?:heart_eyes:

The design of Mektronic is eccentric and amazing. It wasn’t good for the management of the company.

2 Likes

That’s really great job. Well done.

Do you have any git repo / github or gitlab account where we could see the details of your design?

I wish e-shifting from the big manufacturers was open source. As customers we shouldn’t accept buying tech we can’t study, understand, repare or modify.

2 Likes

I myself wanted to build a kind of opensource homemade device similar to the archer d1x out of an arduino to convert my sram force 1 gravel transmission to 13sp cassettes.

I was thinking a stepper motor would make more sense as a servo surely would drain a battery very quickly right?

1 Like

I haven’t posted on github.
Stepper motors may be better than servo motors. But what matters to me is the easiest way to make it with DIY.:wink:

1 Like