Rigid Fork for Kona Mtn Bike

Hi Y’all,

so I have a rigid tail mtn bike that I do not bring to the woods. I ride around town w my 12 year old, go to the bar, run errands, etc. It’s a good bike, it’s a Kona Kahuna in champagne color. BTW I’m not a mtn biker at all.

In the past few years I converted it to 1x, got a chainring, a 10 speed cassette, and some flat pedals. The bike is super nice. But it’s also enormous and cumbersome. I want to make it a slightly quicker maneuvering bici, so I thought of a rigid fork.

Now some of you will say “why won’t you just lock your fork?”. Cause I can’t. the little widget that makes it happen broke, or just doesn’t work anymore.

Question: what are the things to look for when making this change? Can I just go to my lbs and ask them to “slap a used fork on it”, and that’s that? I’m a roadie, don’t care for a suspension fork, don’t do mtn biking, and this being a rigid tail frame, i believe it’d improve its handling with a rigid fork.

thanks folks.

Gus

1 Like

You’d need what we call a suspension corrected fork so not any fork will do. Your LBS should be able to direct you. Baiscally you want one that would have an acle to crown length similar than your suspended fork with 20-30% sag. Most aftermarket fork tend to be carbon and expensive but there are a few steel and alu forks too.

1 Like

Agree with all points on the first reply. Also worth checking with your bike shop about headset compatibility (existing vs replacement fork); ditto brake compatibility (post mount etc). Surly makes some reasonably priced steel forks that used to be sold separately. I did ditto on a 26in bike with ‘V’ brakes and loved the conversion. You / the bike shop will have to find a 29er fork that also has clearance for the tyres that you are running. Please post once done. It’ll help others attempting ditto. Cheers.

I actually found a solution from Kona itself. they make rigid forks and i ordered one. once the bike’s assembled I’ll post here. thanks everyone!
KonaFork

2 Likes