Seatpost recommendation for Cervelo Caledonia

I’ve ordered a Cervelo Caledonia and am planning on upgrading/swapping out some of the stock components. Mostly to improve comfort. I’m a heavier rider (90kg) and ride on poor quality sealed roads. I’ve got a carbon handlebar and my preferred saddle to swap in. I also have a bottom bracket upgrade.

What seatpost would be recommended? I was thinking about a Roval Terra and getting a Di2 battery holder. Would this be suitable for rougher road? Any experience or thoughts would be appreciated.

Yep, I’d recommend the Terra. I put one on the aluminium gravel bike - works a treat. Seems to work better than it’s predecessor the ‘cobblegobbler.’ (No probs with 85kg rider lounging on top of it.)
Also - useless additional info - I put the Specialized carbon hover on as well - would recommend those too.

Thanks dbecky1.

Also consider the Canyon Vcls seat post.

2 Likes

I am similarly sized and thinking of ordering a Caledonia for the same sorts of roads. I am also thinking of upgrading the seatpost and bottom bracket.

I’d be curious to know what you went with and how you like the results.

Ergon CF Allroad Pro Carbon

It’s the same as the Canyon VCLS, but hopefully more available.

4 Likes

This.

Depending on how much dirt you are planning on, you could also consider a suspension seatpost. I use one on my Aspero.

I’m probably in the minority, but the Roval Terra is too much flex for me on roads (would be perfect for rough gravel).

My favorite is the Syntace P6 HiFlex or even a normal seatpost if using 32mm or wider tires on poor quality roads.

1 Like

I’ve always thought Fizik seatposts were underrated. The clamp design works well and they’re not uncomfortable.

Very good seatpost (light, excellent clamp). But to feel any “flex” you need to have lots of exposed post (MTB style). I use that seatpost on 2 of my bikes (in 31,6 diameter, which doesn’t help with flex) and I can’t feel any kind of flex.

2 Likes

A bit unrelated but was curious on how do you think the caledonia handles? Compared to a road bike?

1 Like

This point about the amount of exposed post is frequently overlooked in discussions of seatpost compliance.

1 Like

Unless you ride a Thomson, which I’m fairly certain has some magic spell to resist any deflection whatsoever, regardless of how much is exposed.

90kg+ rider here, and I’m a big fan of Zipp carbon seatposts. I’ve been using them on my gravel bikes over the past several years and they’re stiff, have super easy to adjust clamps and take a beating without any issues.

Back in my product management days, we were not allowed to spec Thomson posts because they could not pass our fatigue testing. They were some of the worst performing seatposts we tested. Our theory was that the the machining on the posts were essentially mini-stress points that caused the failures.

Never once replicated on the road and by almost all user accounts, they were damn near bulletproof….I still have one on my trainer bike today that is 25+ years old….but we couldn’t spec them.

2 Likes

My new bike day has been pushed back, with my Caledonia ETA now early July. Oh well.

With the seatpost I was offered a lightly used, never-crashed, Enve carbon road seatpost. Would have been beyond my price point if new but was a bargain in this instance, and from a trustworthy source. Hope it is a good option. It certainly looks the goods.

Thanks for the feedback, opinions and discussion. I don’t have a lot of exposed seatpost so I’m not sure that I would have gotten the full deflection benefits of the VCLS/Ergon or Terra. So I had been leaning towards a Zipp carbon seatpost as they are a good price and I’ve had good experience with their handlebars.

Were you with Cannondale?
Cannondale eventually started speccing Thomson posts in the early or mid '00s after Thomson revised their machining. The ribs got much smaller and then it passed their tests. Later on Thomson made a running change to all their posts.
Same went for Crank Brothers and their pedals. Back when nicer mountain bikes would come with clipless pedals, Cannondale wanted to spec Eggbeaters but the axles wouldn’t pass testing. Eventually they made one that did, and it was their cheapest model that had a really beefy axle.

No, different company (late 90’s)…but they all eventually ended up under the same umbrella. Don’t know for sure, but it wouldn’t surprise me if that was after the merger and it was the same lab guys doing the testing.