Stem/bar options for completely integrated cables

I’m looking at picking up a Wilier Filante, but the offered single barstem isn’t quite the sizing I want, so am trying to find out what aftermarket options I have. I need a 140mm stem, but the Wilier bar only comes in 44cm for that stem length - I currently ride 40cm bars, and I’d really like to avoid moving to 44cm, not least because it seems to go against the whole idea of an aero frame like the Filante.

So I suspect my best option would be a separate stem, and a set of aero bars. But, I’d still like the brake hoses to be run entirely internally through these. There seem to be plenty of stems available for this, but haven’t found any bar-only options yet - even top options like the Enve SES aero bar don’t seem to route the hoses directly into the stem.

To sum up the requirements:

• 140mm stem, to fit 1 1/4 steerer
  • 40cm aero bars
  • Hydraulic brake hoses to be run entirely internally through bars, into stem, into steerer. No gear/di2 cables.

Any suggestions?

1 Like

All this for internal routing a single cable (your rear brake)? My suggestion is rather obvious, but perhaps best left unsaid.

1 Like

Yep. Though it’s the front brake cable too. And yes, thanks for not saying it.

Check and see if the frame is compatible with the Vision ACR HB/ Stem system.

1 Like

This one doesn’t have long enough stems, but I’ve now spotted other brands like Deda Vinci and Bontrager which I think will work…

Black Inc could be an option if you wanted the an integrated bar and stem:

Only goes up to 130mm stem but the reach of the bars is 80mm which is 5mm more than many.

1 Like

Thanks - it’d still be 5mm short, which I suspect I’d notice. The Bontrager is the best integrated option I’ve seen so far - the reach on that is 100mm (!) so much shorter stem required. No flare on the drops though which I’m not sure about… yes I’m being picky :slight_smile:

Do you need a stem that long, or do you need a bigger bike? (peeking at the geometry chart, the frame reach is very short in the larger sizes!)

Fair question. My problem is I have a long reach, and low position. I am already looking at their largest XXL frame, and can get the right fit with the 140mm stem. There’s not many stock frames on the market which actually suit me - it’s essentially down to this, the BMC TeamMachine, or Tarmac.