Stem Database?

Is there a database anywhere of the different options for stem rise and the manufacturers that offer those options?

1 Like

Some online shops offer a large assortment and good filter options. Might help in finding the right stem.

What are you looking for?

I’m preparing for a fit change, and the optimal stem might need a rise of 2-4°-ish. The Weight Weenie (I’m not a weight weenie) website’s listings have such information, but it is so old that a lot of the data has changed.

1 Like

Im aware that Prime make a stem with a 5 deg angle (which is also pretty light and cheap). The next closest would be a zero degree stem, and Thomson are the obvious option there. I would have thought one of those, combined with 2mm spacer changes, would dial you in.

2 Likes

An example of a webshop with useful filters:

2 Likes

Specialized comp stems come with a collection of shims that adjust the angle by 2 degrees away from the original angle. Pretty handy for getting fit dialled, or getting something between the 17, 10, 5 or 0 defeee stems out there, especially if you’ve slammed your stem and have no steerer left.

2 Likes

Out of topic but I think it’s easier to find a 6 or 8 than a 5 degrees stem.

Stems are really difficult to classify cause the reference-points to take measurements are not well defined.
You can measure length in 2-3 different manners and stack height could also be measured in different ways.
If you search on the internet you will find a picture of (sky?) stems marked as per “exact measured length” and they were all few mm different from their nominal value…

One thing to note is that a lot of manufacturers measure stem length differently, and that they don’t always get angles just right. For instance, I had a 3T -17 degree stem that was supposed to be 110mm. They apparently measure distance from the bottom of the stem instead of from the middle of the stem, so it wound up being 5mm longer than another 110mm -17 degree stem I had, which was a Ritchey. Oddly enough, I picked up another 110mm -17 degree stem from Ritchey which measured 2-3mm longer than the original Ritchey stem I had. I’ve also had a couple of stems that were 6 degrees on paper but were at least 2 degrees different when you lined them up alongside themselves. Don’t assume that whatever is stamped on the stem is the correct measurement.

1 Like