The finish order of the riders in the Hell of the North mirrored the finish order of their tires in our rolling resistance test

Paywalled…

But the tires on the podium, in order, were GP500O TR, Vittoria Corsa Control Tubeless, and Vittoria Corsa Control Tubular…which is also the order of rolling resistance per most RR tests. Obviously, lots of correlation vs. causation as you still have to be able to pedal your bike for hours at massive watts…and it doesn’t account for the shear amount of work MvdP put in during the last 70kms.

However, I can’t help but feel that many teams, looking for all the #marginalgainz, won’t just straight and go buy the fastest tires and use some permanent marker over the labels since this test data is so easily retrieved. Thoughts?

Paris Roubaix is too much of a lottery when it comes to tyres as a large slice of luck is needed to avoid punctures so I’m not sure how much can be read into it.

Add to that, sometimes it doesn’t matter what tyre or system you’re running, punctures gonna puncture.

Gianni Moscon was on the GP5000 TR and finished behind the Corsa Controls.

2 Likes

Like I said, more correlation than causation but I think the results of PR support the tires on the podium using DQS as exhibit A as to how not to ride PR. DQS used clinchers and pretty much all of them flatted out and finished way behind on tubulars.

Moscon would have had better luck with the GP5000 TR had his mechanic not of made the giant oversight of pumping up his spare bike tires to normal PSI (he was bouncing on the cobbles like crazy after his bike change!). He still finished fourth on overinflated tubeless tires and Cobrelli had a slow leak that was sealed via tubeless…both on GP5K TR

I do agree that PR is a crap shoot especially when it comes to crashes but I think tubeless results and performance at this race will speak volumes about what tires are used at PR, and many other races, going into the future.

let’s talk about coincidence.

1 Like

Haha! That too.

This sounds like one of those probability questions I hated at school*. I’m quite sure someone more mathematically literate than me can tell me the odds of this being complete coincidence, but I bet it’s reasonably high.

Roubaix is an interesting example, because it’s the one road race of the year where there’s an argument you should be least worried about rolling resistance.

*like how many people you need in a room for there to be a 50% chance that 2 of them share a birthday. I understand the maths, and the answer still boggles my mind.

3 Likes

I think Colbrelli would of won that race no matter what tyre he was on, he was on a different level I do not think the tyre made a difference. I think flats are just down to chance 9/10 I think quickstep had an unusually bad day.

/thread

Mintaerobars nailed it. That order didn’t happen in MSR, RVV, LBL or Lombardy. Or TDF, Giro or Vuelta. So either the PR results are an abomination and the rolling resistance tests are rubbish because all the other races can’t be wrong or simply a result of probability. Keep tossing that coin.

2 Likes

I fogot the maths, but mind’s still boggled :scream:

He was good indeed, lost the wheel of MVDP on every cobbled corner and went back in no time each time (that also speaks volume on MVDP’s handling skills).

But he also stayed put behind MVDP for tens of kms. I still wonder if the results would have been the same, had MVDP done less and Colbrelli more. Though MVDP’s sprint seems to be less good after a long hard race (see RVV against Asgreen).

He was also in the break ahead of MVP,Moho eventually bridged up.

And saying he “sat behind” MVP for tens of KM’s is a bit misleading. He was taking pulls, not just sitting on….and MVP was in his classic “I’m gonna burn everyone off my wheel” mode.

Cobrelli rode smart….that is what it comes down to.

He mostly sat behind indeed :slight_smile: To me he passed through more than pulled for quite a while but OK. And indeed MVDP was in berserk mode way too far from the finish.

100% agree, smartest won for sure.

I think it had a lot more to do with the peddlers, than what they were peddling…

1 Like

Tires didn’t win it for Colbrelli. Tactics and legs did.

MvdP was arguably the strongest on the day, but he rode too hard on the front. It’s not as if Sonny maneuvered him to the front, he just went there. Napoleon said “never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake.”

2 Likes

Not having read the original article I wonder if the whole group of finishers at PR was evaluated or if they just cherry-picked the podium or top ten?

2 Likes

“Show Reader View” :mega:

1 Like

Pretty interesting but there are too many variables including notably the fact that professional cycling has a long history of “pro only” prototype runs of tires. Off topic but I have mixed feelings about BRR, on one hand it’s a good tool but its a bit myopic as it focuses on RR and Puncture resistance leaves out grip which to me racing is the most important thing. I once calculated the amount of time I spent over 475 watts in a Crit running supple and fast 22m tubies vs 25mm Corsa’s that came out to 27mm on the same course, unscientific I know but it added up to a few minutes of 475+ watts effort over a 45 minute crit saved just because I could enter the corner faster on a wider and grippier tire and could surf the draft while the rider infront had to close gaps).

Handling through corners is half the battle in a crit, though. Most of Paris-Roubaix is in a pretty straight line, with only a handful of really strategic corners; and if you’re going down in them, no tire is going to save you.

1 Like

Mostly talking in generalities regarding BRR, In the dry for PR I’d agree with you though. I would say especially in this edition that grip/specifically wet weather grip would be a validly important metric for tire choice (albeit I find the GP5000 awful in the wet). Lots of slick cobbles, mud, and transitions onto smooth road with mudsoaked tires. I’ve ridden the Trouée d’Arenberg (basically a free vasectomy) and it definitely feels like something you can crash on going dead straight even in the dry.