This might be the stupidest thread on this forum

I ride 500-600 hours a year and have cultivated a really nice helmet strap tan. This wasn’t an issue in 2020 and most of 2021 because I didn’t have to travel to conferences. Now I do quite a bit and it’s kind of annoying having people ask me what that tan line is. Especially when I’m speaking at a conference.

Is there a good temporary product you use to cover up these lines? Was going to raid my wife’s make up drawer but Feel like that scene in Home Improvement when Brad had to wear makeup to cover a pimple. Tempted to buy some spray tan but don’t want to look like I accidentally rubbed Cheeto dust into my head for several days of the color doesn’t match. Thanks in advance for any help.

2 Likes

I would think trying to match a spray tan possibly?

Clear helmet straps a future design? :blush:

1 Like

Just wear your helmet at the conference the straps will obscure the tan lines perfectly :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

16 Likes

Don’t have strap lines since I’m outdoors enough without the helmet. But strangely, I do have tan marks from the helmet holes. It may be due to how the helmet pushes the hair aside.

2 Likes

I would stay away from spray tan especially since you are taking about your face here. Depending on how pronounced the tan lines are, you could try using foundation on it. Foundation does come in various shades, so it is possible to get a relatively close skin match. The other option is liquid bronzer. Personally, I would try the foundation first. It’s more forgiving if you mess up.

BTW, this is not a dumb question. Before the pandemic, I used to do an adult dance class that had a June recital. Well, the recital was almost always a week after a sportive that I do every year. One year, I was rocking some major cycling kit tan lines, and it irked the living daylights out of another lady in my class. After dress rehearsal, she cornered me and insisted that I visit a spray tan booth before the recital. Did I do anything about it? Nope. We’re not a professional dance company. I went on stage with my biker-chick tan lines proudly on full display :sunglasses:

10 Likes

Grow a beard?

2 Likes

grow mutton chops? what about a hat with ear warmers?

1 Like

This does not even come close to the stupidest thread on this forum.

10 Likes
  1. Buy a couple of different helmets and adjust the straps a little looser so that there’s some variation in the tanlines

2. Wear sunscreen on your face when cycling to slow the development of said tanlines. A tan is not necessarily healthy so sunscreen could save you some major health issues down the road.

3. Buy ‘cats-ears’ type add one for your straps to spread out the lines and make them less pronounced. These apparently also help your hearing in the long term.

Lucky you to have the problem…. I’m so far north, a tan is rarely an issue

2 Likes

Tell them you ride a bike. A lot.

2 Likes

Just curious, is this despite using sunscreen, or due to a lack of it? I spend long hours under a helmet outside and tan easily, but haven’t had this problem.

(What problem am I having? With my hairline receding, I’m getting a tan on my forehead in the shape of the helmet vents, because I’m reluctant to put sunscreen where it’ll drip down and sting my eyes.)

I wear sunscreen religiously, I live in Scottsdale, AZ and ride about 11-12 hours a week. In the summer my time outdoors is really limited mostly to cycling since it’s well over 100°F/37°C by 7am, by the time I finish my ride it’s 110+ often and keep in mind I live in an area with probably one of the highest annual UV indices in the world. My other hobby is motorcycling which does little to even out the tan lines since I’m wearing a full face helmet. I’m partially of Spanish descent so tan quite dark and quite easily by the time fall/winter/spring hiking rolls around I’ve already got a super dark tan and tan lines going on.

I should probably get more of a life than riding bikes and working but that’s a different topic for a different day.

2 Likes

Are there any helmets that are larger and provide more shade from the top? If anyone decides to market the Aero Sombrero, they owe me a trademark fee.

2 Likes

:scream: :scream: :scream:

1 Like

Just tell them you’re in a cult. Which actually is sort of true.

4 Likes

Are there any helmets that are larger and provide more shade

There’s an obvious answer to the helmet strap tan line:

11 Likes

1 Like

My solution might be a bit over done, but I use the following proces:

1. I use a white LED light coupled with an optical sensor behind a diffraction grating. The assembly has GPS sensors so that I can map exactly color variation on my head.
  2. I built a “halo” that I wear which has an array of blue, red, and green LEDs assembled on the inside surface of a spherical mesh grid. That’s tied to a laptop running LabVIEW.
  3. I wrote LabVIEW code that allows to perfectly alter the output of the red, blue, and green LEDs to illuminate my untanned areas in such a way as to make it look like I’m tanned everywhere.
  4. Sensors on the outside of the mesh sphere map the color intensity from the exterior and outdoor lighting so that my LabVIEW code compensates…you know for things like incandescent light, fluorescent light, outdoor light, laser lights, and so on.

It works amazingly, but my neck does get sore after wearing this over the course of a long workday.

4 Likes